View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Star Trek: Picard Season 1 [SPOILERS] 
Captain
Captain

As I feel that several will not watch the program, we can keep this thread for freely discussing spoilers like how Picard's dog is actually Q. (not really)

Premier is tomorrow!!

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 am
Captain
Captain

Just going over my notes from this mornings S1E1, I feel it was a disservice of the trailers to reveal so much of what was coming in the show.

Data, the Borg, 7 of 9 would have been all great surprises to be revealed, I feel like the Cube reveal in the final moments would have had me steeped with excitement and disbelief, but it was in the dang second trailer, so we already knew what we were looking at. That aside, here's my thoughts on the episode:

I like that in both of Picard's dream sequences Data is wearing different uniforms. I feel this is something that is a constant in most dreams, you can believe everything you are seeing is real, except one little something is out of place somehow... The Enterprise D being rendered in 1080p looks fantastic, 10 Forward is modeled down to the exact carpet and wall decoration from TNG, the cups for Earl Grey, the poker chip colors and the cards they are playing with, all are spot on, so it makes it seem so off that Data is in his Nemesis uniform. the dialogue of them discussing the game, Data holding a hand of 5 Queens, even down to the inflections in Brent's voice are all just right on the mark, neither of these two great actors has lost delivering as their character, also the CGI on de-aging Brent looks somewhat better then it did in the first trailer.

I want to pause there to also comment on something that concerned me, Sir Patrick being Picard again after 18 (!) years of not playing Picard.

I feel in that time I came to know the actor for his charity work, social media, and his role as Professor X post TNG, but these fears were laid to rest during that interview segment when he talks down to the rude and frankly racist TV Reporter, from them on, I was sold on the hardest point of convincing, I am watching a show about an old man Picard.

Ok, next on the notes its interesting that the 9/11 Event of the post Nemesis Universe isn't the destruction of Romulus, but its a android/synthetic terrorist attack on the Romulan Rescue Fleet and the ship yards on Mars, something the reporter comments as Mars is likely still wrecked beyond belief, "and still on fire".

So, what we can slightly infer is that Picard gave up the Enterprise (and at some point became an admiral) and was a leading voice in a large scale rescue/relocation project for the people of Romulus. They state the synthetics destroyed the rescue fleet, but my take away was the ships were still at Utopia Planitia, and had not actually rescued anyone yet, but that detail could still be given a bit more attention.

So now, in a post Dominion War era, post Nemesis and Romulus Destruction era, massive losses for all the major players in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, the Federation seems to sort of respond to this destruction of Mars as "we are closing up, deal with yourselves", I believe Picard called it a shrinking of the values the Federation should stand for, but I might have that slightly misquoted.

Either-way, Picard retires. Secret Girl finds him, yadda yadda yadda, and we are set up for Season 1.

Laris and Zhaban are... two people living with Picard. Its not really revealed yet if they are more care takers or care takers for the Chateau Picard overall, Zhaban is clearly a Romulan, however his partner Laris has absent ridges on her forehead, also her ear structure is different, she could be half human, half vulcan, all vulcan, dunno but its clear the two of them have been there for a long while and are in a relationship.

They also date the painting Picard has, which seemingly would be of Lal (Lal and Secret Girl look very similar under further review), Picard states Data died 20 years ago, and the painting was made 10 years prior to that, which puts it right at Season 6 of TNG, around 2369, so Lal had already been created and passed away.

So now the race is afoot to find the missing twin, who is working on reconstructing a Borg Cubical under control of the Romulan Empire (or at least someone flashing their logo).

What would really be great in my opinion, would be if the original actor Brian Brophy came back as Bruce Maddox, now revealed to have vanished once Synthetic research was banned in the Federation post Mars 9/11.

Either way, very enjoyable, much different from how Discovery landed when it premiered, but nowhere close to delivering a 90's Trek experience as Season 2 of The Orville was.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 am
Captain
Captain

Broadcast at 11pm British time strangely enough on the Thursday so I caught it a day earlier than I’d expected too.

I loved it, its not TNG but it’s definitely something different. I assume Picard gave up the Enterprise and was offered admiralty when he successfully convinced Starfleet to launch a rescue armada which unfortunately was destroyed by Synthethics. I won’t add too much more on the build up to the episode as Surlaw covered most of it. The final comic in the intro series has yet to release, but the first two comics go into this and its obvious that three will also deal with Mars.

Long story short Picard does save some Romulans though going off the comic so far, but nowhere near as many as were lost. And Picard in a combination of disgust at Starfleets Actions in ending the rescue (alright granted they’re a fleet designed specifically for this down, but surely you’d send other aspects of the fleet who can carry people to save them right?) and the banning of synthetic research he terminated his commission and became a civilian.

In many ways I felt this episode was spiritually a successor to the Drumhead and Measure of a Man merged if you will, that appears to be the direction this series will take going off this one episode.

I will note, destroying one of the twins was a genuine surprise, perhaps the only one from the episode so far. I anticipated based on trailers their was only one android so this will be interesting to see how it develops.

Also, in the one action scene they did it very well. Stewarts age shows, he is obviously not up to these scenes as he was once in his prime and they’re going to have to work around that but it was done very well. It’s alright probably why we’ve seen other actors carrying the action scenes in trailers so far.

I also second Surlaw on the return of Brophy, Maddox apparently hasn’t been seen for 15 years and he like Picard was probably quite disgusted at Starfleet as a direct result.

It’s also fascinating the cultural changes that have occurred, the general populace are now very anti-android which is understanding considering Mars being destroyed. Data was probably one of the most decorated Starfleet officers of his time, and would now be regarded as the youngsters as nothing more than a murderer.

I will note to follow up on Surlaws point about the Federation closing up, it very much reminded me of the USA following the First World War.

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:08 am
Captain
Captain

oh hey, so on that note, what has the comic covered about his two live in Romulan Roomates? I read somewhere someone said they were either ex-Tal Shiar or still active, but are they watching him, or protecting him?

I've been thinking of how just a massive blow to the quadrants the loss or Romulus was/is. I mean let's be honest the Cardassian (now in ruins) and Klingon Empire (also proven to be a very poorly run Government prone to civil war and other bullshit) aren't up to the measure of the Federation in terms of expansion and developing other worlds.

Romulans on the other hand? They had an empire, a massive one, and unlike the Klingons I bet multiple solar systems would sign up to be protected and part of their Empire, and up until the stupid Shinzon crap, they seemed to be competently run and ruled. So now if the bottom has fallen out of that, a huge vacuum is created.

Also, something that ST:P has done is show that "synthetics" went on the attack very quickly post Nemesis, how did they get developed so fast? And by whom?

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:09 pm
Captain
Captain

The comics do touch on them, however I suspect the larger quantity of information will be available in the third comic which is due prior to the second elusive of the show. It’s suspected the final comic will have something which would have spoiled the first episode in some part, or perhaps prelude something from episode two but again unsure. It might very well be the resignation and why he resigns from Starfleet which they obviously wanted for the interview in the first episode.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:04 am
Captain
Captain

I won't do a full scene by scene recap of this new episode, but it reveals that the Romulans are sort of excavating the Borg cube (?) and that it is disconnected from the Collective.

Which tells me there is still a collective out there.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:54 am
Captain
Captain

So the show is sort of changing its direction from save Data's Daughter to, Data's Daughter might be something else from either the past or the future and Romulans don't make good drones and Hugh is leading an effort to de-assimilate as many drones as possible.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:43 am
Forum Praetor

*Nods Imperially*

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:48 pm
Captain
Captain

This was my favorite episode by far, mainly because it focused on the lives of the Romulans and what happened when they evacuated. I like the ninja kid, he's pretty cool.

Also Picard ripping down the racist sign, stomping on it, then walking into the bar was amazing, as was the story from the former Romulan Senator.

Honestly the story arc in the Borg Cube to me is the real dead weight, it just seems so... anticlimactic compared to everything else?

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Commander
Commander

Welp, just finished it. Sorry I couldn't poke my head in due to spoilers, I was often watching it later than the rest of the world.

Long story short: Started well, sagged in the middle, ended pretty 'okayish'. I was disappointed that they...oh wait, hold on...

Spoiler:
took the easy way out with regards to Picard's Irumodic Syndrome. I was expecting that to play out a la Roslyn from BSG, which had me in tears by the end. Same goes for Data. The treknobabble about "rebuilding his entire being from one single positronic neuron" is, frankly, preposterous. It really ruined the story for me. Treknobabble is usually pretty good--they at least root it in real/theoretical science and go from there. This was just....idk. Came out of nowhere, and felt forced. Like, they just needed SOMETHING to use as a plot device, so they invented this shitty space magic to be the all-powerful-super-thing that....eh. I'm over it now.

Looking forward to Season 2 :|

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]