View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Star Trek Discovery Discussion Topic (Premier/Weekly Reviews 
Captain
Captain

Star Trek: Discovery will debut Sunday, September 24

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:04 am
Captain
Captain

Oh wow, I've just discovered this thing has been rated TV-MA. Jesus they weren't kidding about going after the Game of Thrones vibe a year ago, and I still think its a bad idea.

If accurate I also find myself questioning a certain incident that occurred a couple of months ago even more.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 pm
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
Oh wow, I've just discovered this thing has been rated TV-MA. Jesus they weren't kidding about going after the Game of Thrones vibe a year ago, and I still think its a bad idea.

Agreed. I'm still watching the pilot, but I am very very skeptical.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:43 am
Commander
Commander

I'm planning to have some people over to watch the premiere, but I can't figure out what time it'll show in the Pacific Time Zone. I know it's set to air at, what, 8:30/7:30c? And according to the website, the first two episodes will be made available online AFTER the initial premiere. So does that mean that the first two will be available online at 9:30 EST, and therefore 6:30 PST? Or will they roll out the online premiere in the same fashion as they air the premiere?

Halp!

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:32 pm
Captain
Captain

Isn't the first episode on TV overthere?

We are not getting it until Monday so have fun folks.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 am
Commander
Commander

It is, but I don't have a TV antenna. I want to stream it online when it first comes out.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:27 pm
Captain
Captain

Magellanic wrote:
It is, but I don't have a TV antenna. I want to stream it online when it first comes out.

Did you figure out how to watch it? The best way I found was to sign up for the free trial of CBS All Access. Then you can watch the first 2 episodes on a web browser or on the Android/iOS app. The trial is good for a week, so if you haven't watched it yet, you could sign up now and get next Sunday's episode free also.

I found the app/stream was pretty glitchy when I tried it yesterday. Strangely enough, the second episode worked fine. But it was definitely a negative experience after being accustomed to Prime Video and Netflix being 99% glitch free.

After watching the first 2 episodes, I did not find much to like about the show. If I lived outside the US where it was on Netflix, I'd keep watching but I am not paying money based on the first 2 episodes. I will read impressions of fellow Trekkies as the season goes on to see if the show improves to the point that it's worth me continuing to watch, but right now I'm fine with catching up on the show after the series is done, like I did with Enterprise.

I'm finding The Orville, as silly and weird as it is, is much more enjoyable to watch. Between that and rewatching TOS, TNG, and DS9 (and maybe even VOY if I'm in the right mood), my Trek itch is getting scratched.

I'll discuss details of what I disliked about the first two episodes of Discovery, but I'll wait until the rest of the crew have seen them.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:38 am
Captain
Captain

"Finally, if we are to win the battle that is now going on around the world between freedom and tyranny, the dramatic achievements in space which occurred in recent weeks should have made clear to us all, as did the Sputnik in 1957, the impact of this adventure on the minds of men everywhere, who are attempting to make a determination of which road they should take. "

President John F. Kennedy
Delivered in person before a joint session of Congress May 25, 1961

Star Trek Discovery - Episode 1 and 2 Review and Reflection: "Our time is over, their time is now"

My first interaction with Star Trek was seeing TOS re-runs on Saturday morning TV, usually before my Dad booted us outside to go play for the day. Other than those re-runs we had Star Trek III on a VHS, sandwiched in between Spies Like Us and Lady Hawk. That was my introduction to this new world of the future.

It wasn't until a few years later that The Next Generation aired, which was a game changer for me, I grew up along side of the 1701-D crew, and still I feel every week we watched I was slowly becoming the person I am today, and as I got older and angrier I followed the path of the Emissary on DS9, which helped me realize that you don't always win, but you don't always have to play by the rules either.

Later Voyager came on but I was working 2 jobs and ...well, otherwise occupied. But I always went back to TNG, went back to my core, all my beliefs and standards I think came from that show, and watching it growing up, I just wanted a fun space adventure, I didn't realize I was getting life lessons that I would still carry with me to this day.

When Enterprise came on TV, I felt like the show wasn't aimed at me, it was different, but I couldn't grasp the concept. The new Star Trek movies started rolling out, and I didn't get it either, shit was all different universes and what not, but hey its still Star Trek right...?

With the 2 Episode premier of Star Trek Discovery, I finally understand, this show isn't for me, it isn't aimed at me, its aimed at the audience of today, kids with tablets in their hands as soon as they can hold them, kids who get their grades texted to their parents as soon as the teacher finishes reviewing the quiz, kids who are growing up in a world where our leadership sends nasty messages over social media like its proper policy.

The world of the 60's isn't around anymore, TOS was aimed at critiquing and commenting on those times, and it got praise for it even in cancellation.

The world of the 80's/90/s isn't around anymore either, and although I think Next Generation was targeting bigger issues than direct social problems we had at that time, but still.

The audience of today needs a show of today, and that is what I believe this show can be, if properly executed.

Now that my rambling about Trek is over, let's dig into Discovery!! I will voice what I like before I turn into a normal Trek fan and start ripping things apart and throwing chairs at the walls.

The Good:
1. The casting seems to be very good, as well as the acting, I never once felt like I wasn't watching a spacy science fiction show.
2. I liked the design of the ship, reminded me of some of the models from Star Trek Online.
3. The computer overlays looked like they had more thought put into them vs what we've been seeing in the last few movies, they looked somehow more practical, I could glance at them and know what I was looking at easily.
4. The story was easy to follow, and I actually liked 1 of the characters very quickly.

The Bad:
1. What universe is this set in? If its in NuTrek, thats fine, but to think that somehow we are supposed to believe that we went from Enterprise level technology, to Discovery technology, then back to TOS technology is now a bit of a stretch, which is why a prequil show is always so hard to do, because everything needs to look new, not future but retro. Now if this is a NuTrek show, I can easily see this being set 10 years before the first film, they sort of mesh technology wise, but if this is the prime universe, why the F do we have holographic projectors for Admirals and a dude with a Daft Punk helmet and a guy with a psychic headset on??? Seems a bit much.
2. Everyone is always talking, all of the time. I get it in an action movie you have to keep the pace up for the audience, but this is a Trek show on TV, not a race, I'm not saying we need Michael to stand and stare out the window for 7 minutes, but come on, paint the portrate of these characters with tension and drama, not dialogue.
3. The f'ing sound effects need to take a chill pill, on every show, including Enterprise, there was 1 sound for 1 action. Hailing frequency, intruder alert, red alert, hull breech, shields up, comm badge, door bell... all had 1 sound, and it was always the same sound, now when shit goes down on the bridge freaking 78 soundeffects from the entire Trek noise library all chime in and out over and over like keyboard cat is just mashing things to get youtube likes! Seems a bit much.
4. The Klingons... nah, I'm not even gonna go there.
5. Seems a bit of a waste that we dumped an entire ship and crew AND Captain after 2 episodes, I understand we needed Michael to have a backstory, but this seems like a baby/bathwater situation here.

And finally, I know Star Trek isn't known for having solid Pilots, but somehow in over writing everything else, they forgot to give the show some sort of... point? Enterprise showed us humans reaching out into the stars for the first time, seeking out new life and new civilizations in returning a wounded Klingon, Voyager had the caretaker and 2 crews working together who were enemies to overcome their crappy situation, DS9 showed us a broken and bitter man being thrown into a complex situation, and Encounter at Farpoint showed us magical space beings beyond all comprehension!

In conclusion, I will continue watching, but I feel the show doesn't need zany revamped Klingons or ships ramming into each other and suicide blasting their enemies, the show needs to remember the vision of Gene Roddenberry, but then again, this show isn't aimed at me, I already had my show, this show is for the younger generation, the next generation it you will, my time is over, their time is now.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:12 am
Commander
Commander

Moses Rockafeller wrote:
Did you figure out how to watch it?

Yeah, I just signed up for the free trial and streamed the first two episodes. Bleargh.

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
With the 2 Episode premier of Star Trek Discovery, I finally understand, this show isn't for me, it isn't aimed at me...

I couldn't have said it better myself. Though I fear that by not targeting a specific audience, they're reducing Trek to the level of every other commonplace mediocre scifi show. Trek stood out because the target audience was full of dreamers, teachers, space enthusiasts, and victims alike. It drew people together from all walks of life because it gave people hope in a time where hope was a scarce commodity. I don't see this new incarnation doing that, and in so doing it only appeals now to the lowest common denominator.

But I don't think all hope is lost. Political agendas aside, it has done a good job creating a diverse and interesting crew (so far). However, they've reduced to Klingons to a band of intergalactic gangsters (though I appreciate the concept of T'Kuvma becoming a martyr, much as how a terrorist cell or renegade country might do something similar). I don't see this new series fitting in with the established canon, but I don't see it as being condemned to mediocrity quite yet, either.

What it needs is a bigger does of ethical dilemmas, a cup or two of exploration and phenomena which challenge the characters both intellectually and emotionally/spiritually, and less reliance on technology (again, holograms weren't even a thing in this time. Wtf?)

As for watching it, as much as it pains me to say this.....I will be paying the $10/mo for the ad-free subscription of CBS All Access, and cancelling the service the moment the season ends. To offset this cost, I will be splitting the cost of it with some friends and we will all be watching the episodes together. CBS can try all they want, but I'm not giving up without a fight. If I can't get around paying for their perceived "value", I'll sure as hell try to dilute it.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:08 pm
Commander
Commander

I refuse to pay for this crap.

I don't give a shit who it is aimed at; it's not a generational thing. This is a case of CBS molesting the udder of the Star Trek cash cow once again, throwing mediocre to terribad writing and story (and directing - jesus fuck, the fucking pilot is NOT the fucking time to have a goddamn acid trip flashback train ride every five fucking seconds) into a pot and blending it into chunky slurry to try and push their exclusive pay-for-access streaming service.

I sat through both episodes, and not two minutes would go by between head-desking thoughts of "OMFG YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!" Or, "OMFG, WHOMEVER THINKS THIS WORKS THIS WAY IS A FUCKING IDIOT!" Or, "OMFG, THE WRITERS NEED TO BE FUCKING FIRED. AND THE GUY WHO HIRED THE WRITERS NEEDS TO BE FUCKING FIRED!"

Credit where credit is due - The actors are good. The character directing is good. The actors played their characters and delivered their lines well and convincingly, and overall did a pretty bang-up performance for which they should be commended.

But the writers, and the story directors, and the people who hired the writers and story directors, and the people who hired the people who hired the writers and story directors, should all be fired.

And the sound-effects guy needs to be fired.

And the guy who put the holes in the ship needs to be fired. Along with every single person involved who didn't slap that person upside the head for their fucking stupidity.

Overall quality of show: 3/10 - carried exclusively by the acting

Overall acting: 9/10 - pretty damn on point, if not for being associated with this trainwreck, some of that might have been award worthy.

Overall performance per expectations: 5/10 - Met expecations, was a terrible product serving no other purpose than milking the Trek cash cow and pushing a pay-for streaming service.

"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Closet Member of the Ilithi Dragon Fanclub
But it was on Star Trek!!! D8 It'sREAL!!!

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 pm
Captain
Captain

Yeah, not really a fan of that. Fortunate I'm outside the US so I can get the show through the family standard netflix but just. Wow really all things considered.

I didn't really like any of the characters be it rants against an entire race despite Vulcan upbringing or strapping a bomb to a dead body being considered a good solution from a Starfleet point of view. Although I will admit, the acting was very good.

It felt a lot like the alternate universe, but it wasn't either of them given the whole lets have a war 10 years prior to TOS that no one knew about. And the whole redesign of the Klingons...god, god what? I mean that was actually insane like "I'm going to lead us to unity me this sole person who isn't even in a great house in the middle of nowhere, join me" and all 24 great hours bar one decide yeah sure lets do that...and then hail him Kahless afterwards.

Oh and that was totally DS9 hologram communication technology.

Sarek, I was kind of mind blown actually. His advice on dealing with the Klingon's was to shoot first...probably would have just resulted in us getting a shooting game on first. Then you have the whole I left some of my Katra in my adopted daughter and somehow managed to go out of my way to contact you over 1000's of light years and probably done more for you than my son. And oh wait she reveals she led a fucking mutiny and he replies "well you know good resource gotta help" .....WHAT? Am I losing my mind? Then she correctly highlights killing Kahless reborn would brand him a martyr and then goes ahead and kills him herself...

No this isn't my Trek, I'm just bloody amazed that this was the route CBS decided to take the franchise. I don't think I'm the person they were going after with this.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:38 pm
Captain
Captain

Ilithi Dragon wrote:
I refuse to pay for this crap.

The hate is strong with this one!

I did not hate the show as much as you, but I will also not be paying to continue watching. I'm also not interested in using a VPN to trick Netflix into thinking I'm in Europe and watching the show that way.

I will do what I did with Enterprise, and watch Discovery after the series is over. I did enjoy the first 2 episodes enough to support the series by keeping the viewership figures up. I think Mag has a point about the show not targeting a specific audience, and I wonder if it will get canceled. Everywhere I look online, American Trekkies are complaining about the stupid CBS All Access service. Very few people are actually talking about the show itself, which is a bad thing for CBS and the future of the show.

Part of me wants the show to flop, although I wonder if that will send CBS the right signal. They might interpret Trekkies boycotting the show to mean "nobody wants Star Trek anymore" instead of "fans want an actual Star Trek show".

To go into some specifics:

The Good:
1. I liked the acting like most people here. I particularly liked Sarek, Captain Georgiou, and Saru. I would have liked T'Kuvma more, but I think that the stupid new Klingon makeup makes the actor's expressions harder to read.
2. I thought the Starfleet ships mostly looked fine.
3. The Warp in/out affect was cool, it was kind of a blend of BSG jumping and SW hyperdrive.

The Bad:
1. The new Klingon look is stupid.
2. The Klingon flagship looked terrible.
3. I thought the Klingon racial purity thing was too on-the-nose.
4. The story was pretty bad, and the first 2 episodes should have been condensed into a 90-minute pilot, ending with Michael getting posted on the Discovery. As it is I don't know if the Discovery will show up even in E3! I'm comparing this to DS9's pilot, where Sisko's backstory was shown in a 10 minute sequence at the start of the episode. I would have preferred that approach, and the show could have sprinkled in Michael's flashbacks throughout the series (which will probably happen anyway). I thought the story really showed the problems with Fuller leaving, etc.

The Ugly:
1. The Federation is presented in a terrible light here. Captain Georgieau seemed to live up to Starfleet ideals, but she quickly and gleefully jumped on the idea of putting a bomb on a Klingon corpse, which is hugely disrespectful to the Klingon culture.
2. Vulcan nerve pinches apparently last 30 seconds now. What the hell?
3. Michael assaulted her captain. This is an insult to Trekkies and even if they're going for a darker, more "realistic" show, doesn't doing that in the military get you in more trouble than Michael was in? Oh wait, I'm sure ID knocks out his Captain all the time, right?
4. The court martial scene had stupid lighting. Showing the judges sitting in the shadows while Michael is basically under a spotlight, was just insulting to the viewer's intelligence. Could you possibly paint the judges as being "harsh and mean" any more obviously?

I really wish I had more positives to say, but I don't. I hope the show changes tone and improves in the future, but I am very skeptical.

EDIT: I saw this article, which I thought was interesting.
https://www.inverse.com/article/36807-s ... orms-canon

What do you think? Is it a reasonable explanation? I feel like those are some pretty big stretches, but I do applaud them for trying to reconcile the producers' uncaring attitude towards the existing canon. I wonder if they'll try to explain the new Klingon look somehow. I think Enterprise already took that as far as it can go. Discovery shows all 24 houses all showing the new look, so logically the entire race should be represented.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am
Captain
Captain

LOLOLLLL Look at these buttons on the crewman's console:

Spoiler:

Eh, wadda we gots here?

Fire Phasers
Fire Torpedoes
Away Team (?)
Self Destruct
Shields

Hey, lemme just hail the Away Tea~~ BOOM! That is amazing design

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:32 pm
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:

Eh, wadda we gots here?

Fire Phasers
Fire Torpedoes
Away Team (?)
Self Destruct
Shields

This cracked me up when Surlaw told me on Hangouts. I replied with "Mike Okuda would be rolling in his future grave". So this morning, before repeating the joke, I looked up Okuda to make sure he wasn't involved in Discovery. And then I discovered this Tweet he made that cracked me up.

https://twitter.com/MikeOkuda/status/912572025926848513

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:58 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Surlaw The Mai wrote:

Spoiler:

Eh, wadda we gots here?

Fire Phasers
Fire Torpedoes
Away Team (?)
Self Destruct
Shields

That's a lot of power for a crewman to yield but I'm sure Starfleet's answer to Clippy would show up and say "It's looks like you're trying to kill everyone, would you like help with that?"

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Star Trek Discovery Episode 3: "Welcome to the Isle of Captain Moreau"

So, here we are again, this week ill just run down events as I remember them.

Mikey is on a prison ship, dude talks about her panties making the word panties now something we've officially heard in Trek in the canon, ok.
Shuttle gets attacked by lil glowey particle bug things, pilot goes to scrape them off, dies (or lives idk) and Discovery rescues the prison transport.
Cut to the lunch room, dude tries to kill Mikey, she uses "Vulcan Judo" or some such thing to take him down.
Mikey goes to meet the Captain who is standing in the dark due to "his eyes" and munching on fortune cookies.
Blah Blah Blah she gets assigned to a science station working for Lt Dickhead.
Stuff happens, weird Mass Effect Coward alien dude from the old ship is now XO.
More Stuff, also "Black Alert" lol.
Again more stuff happens and its revealed that the Discovery is using the lil glow wormy things to travel faster than Warp Speed to "Win the War"...

I liked this idea better when it was the plot for the Voyager 2 part episode Equinox.

By the end Mikey is reinstated to active duty, after the Captain dumps her in a tube with the glow worms and she captures one of those monsters from the Krogan homeworld in Mass Effect.

Speaking of Mass Effect, thats kind of what this show is... Mass Effect with DLC Star Trek uniforms and ship designs.

Speaking of the ship, it ain't as ugly as I thought, but she's not a Galaxy Class either.

All in all, if I had to rate the episodes so far on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being a SNL Sketch of Star Trek and 5 being TNG's Season 7 episode 'Masks':
Pilot pt1 3/5
Pilot pt2 2/5
Ep 3 2/5

Discovery really needs to hop on board next week and actually DO something, do something Star Trek like maybe? IDK

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 am
Captain
Captain

I felt this was a little bit better than the previous two episodes, if anything this felt like the pilot considering it actually gets the proper crew and ship set up finally.

But I will admit, this feels very....Section 31 I guess if that makes any sense. This Captain in particular feels like Sisko going down a dark path.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:27 pm
Captain
Captain

Had some time to try and digest this one I suppose.

The Discovery is a Science Vessel that happens to focus on wartime discovery, something a couple of the characters in this show do not seem able to process. We have had that theme run through the show before where the officers would question why they are fighting when they signed on to explore and that's something that runs through the first, second and certainly fourth episode.

The Discovery is an odd ship in a sense, it was originally a science vessel led by someone suited for war and not peace. In that capacity Lorca thrives, I described him previously as Sisko on a dark path. I think it would be more acute to say he is more like Captain Sisko merged with Captain Ransom without a lining of morals. Makes even less sense that the First Officer be Saru, a former Science Officer now on the Command Track whose first thought to combat is to get the hell out of there.

There are two main plotlines, the continuing Klingon thread from the first two episodes, and the Discovery attempting to gets it jump drive working so it can save a planet that happens to supply the Federation with 40% of its Dilithium from Klingons who managed to somehow get past a blockade with actually nothing to defend this what you'd probably consider vital asset to not just the war effort but the entire operation of the Starfleet.

The Klingon plot line continues to be a mess of epic proportions. The Augment gene appears to have been tossed aside for these guys instead. We see one of the Great Houses...or perhaps a member of the sole great house seize control of the flagship with a cloak that apparently the Klingons don't have so that's actually an interesting addition there. Anyways turns out the religious house of T'Kuvma has been stuck on the ship they had in the pilot for the last 6 months and has somehow survived which included the unfortunate demise of the previous captain. Kors old brother shows up and ehhh gets every single one bar two to basically defect to him with real food and leaves the other two stranded on the Shenzhou which is still intact.

The other plot line is that of the Discovery trying to gets it jump drive or spore drive to work so that they can save a planet producing 40% of the Federations fuel as the closest ship is over 80 hours away. Basic gist is something very similar to the Equinox in that this creature they got actually powers the thing and seemingly drains it. The next moral dilemma of course will be ehh well I guess the same as the Equinox. Discovery jumps in and jumps out leaving explosives which destroy the Klingons which was inventive enough.

The show is definitely differently. We will see where this journey takes us. I just hope some of the plotlines clean up soon.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:14 pm
Captain
Captain

Yeah, this weeks episode was weird... spinny saucer section weird!

Lorca just walks around chewing ass on whoever is screwing up, and as Will mentioned, he needs to be in command of a warship, not a science and discovery (HA!) ship.

Also I don't really care much about the Klingon plot, now that Torchwood Boy is stick on the dead old ship...

But eh, I still like the XO, also the cute roommate Tilly is fun...

Eh, I give this weeks episode 7 of 9 Chakotay visions of his Dad.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:21 pm
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
Yeah, this weeks episode was weird... spinny saucer section weird!

Lorca just walks around chewing ass on whoever is screwing up, and as Will mentioned, he needs to be in command of a warship, not a science and discovery (HA!) ship.

Also I don't really care much about the Klingon plot, now that Torchwood Boy is stick on the dead old ship...

But eh, I still like the XO, also the cute roommate Tilly is fun...

Eh, I give this weeks episode 7 of 9 Chakotay visions of his Dad.

I do wonder just what Fuller was aiming for as Dorn revealed after the 2 parter pilot that Fullers vision of the Klingons were actually far far different from what was in the show. So I kind of ask just how different this show was in concept 12 months ago, because as far as I can tell this was probably rewritten very quickly to film and that might explain why the plot is all over the place.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next