View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
How big is the ST:FC Borg Cube? 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

iconborg

I wanted to mark my return appropriately, and what better way than to count some pixels?

So, here is the relevant data:

1) The official size of the Cube as given by John Eaves himself (Designer of the Ent-E, and the Borg vessels for the film.)

Spoiler:

9,000ft, or 2,744m. That's the official size as designed. (Incidentally, the official size of the Sphere is 1,300ft, or 396m. If you recall, my figure from the old days was 450m, based on pixel-counting. Which lends support to my thesis that the Sphere from ST:FC is not the same as the Sphere in ENT:Regeneration.)

Now, we need to verify this size on screen. To do so, we need a ship of a known size to compare. I think the best candidate is the Steamrunner, because there is a scene where it comes swooping up from directly behind the Cube, so it'd make a good comparison shot. So first, we need to know the size of the Steamrunner. I matched it up against a known ship, the Ent-E:
Spoiler:

I like that comparison, it seems to fit nicely. And it results in the following size:
Spoiler:

This is the same size that EAS has, for the same reasons, so that seems a pretty solid size figure. Now, we compare that to the scene in FC, as seen here:
Spoiler:

That gives a final Cube size of 3,213m. Given the margin for error in my lines, (I fudged the corners, because I can't see the actual corners. And I had to copy and paste an SD Steamrunner into the HD screencap, so I may have screwed up the Steamrunner size a bit in the process. I don't think I did, but it's possible.) that's pretty close to the official size. I know that our previous size figures from a long time ago were 900m and 1,357m, but I can't see any real evidence for this size. Maybe I'm forgetting something that we discovered last time, or maybe we were just using strange ship sizes back then. Another possibility is that other ships that fly behind the Cube give different sizes. I know that there is a scene with an Oberth going behind the Cube, and another with a Miranda. We don't have a set size for the Oberth, but I want to check out the Miranda scene.

Thoughts?

<EDIT> The Steamrunner was a meter too short. Fixed now.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:26 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Here is the scene with the Miranda:
Spoiler:

Again, it's not real precise, but it's not useless either.

And here's the Miranda size, using EAS' data:
Spoiler:

That gives a Cube size of 1.553m. Just over 5,000ft, so quite a bit smaller than Eaves said. However, that may not be the "right" size for the Miranda. According to Larry Nemecek, the DS9 VFX dept used a different size for a lot of ships, many of which are ludicrous, but apparently used anyway. As you can see here, the Mirandas in DS9 were (at least some of the time) 341m (1120ft) long.
Spoiler:

That would make them 208m wide, which increases the Cube to a size of 2,162m, or 7,158ft, so a little closer to Eaves' size.

Still no clear answer, but it's another data point anyway.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]