View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Virus Lockdown Thread 
Captain
Captain

So... what's everyone up to?

We've been on stay at home orders since the 12th, so today is my 10th day at home, 7th working from home, but today is the start of the local government mandated 30 day stay at home, so everything is closed except essential business (which turns out to be a ton of them).

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:47 am
Captain
Captain

Been working from home since the 17th, the organisation however begun speeding up preperations about two weeks prior getting laptops to the few who still didn't have them. As a result almost all of the organisation was able to work from home at 12 hours notice as everyone was emailed/called in the evening prior to inform them. Firefighters cannot work from home however and are still on the front lines for obvious reasons...

Businesses all shut shop on the 20th and then some last standers were closed on the 23rd. I did get to have one last hurrah at the pub as the landlord decided every keg must go because they'd all go off in the duration, therefore they were not charging pints and the entire town descended to attempt to assist in clearing out product.

We're still having problems in lockdown. A lot of businesses are refusing to close or get people to work from home so people are still commuting in to be paid which is well a hellhole in London with the Tubes running a reduced service because a good portion of the drivers are in self-isolation. This will not be resolved in the next three weeks I suspect and I hope we're out of this by June/July.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I've been working from home since the 24th now. My company pretty much started to purchase laptops and upgrade remote access infrastructure around the week of the 9th or 16th of March and then sending people home in batches. Originally it seemed like they were going to just send the "operations" and leave "finance" (which I fall under) in the office, but last week the office pretty much closed down.

We're a Commercial Utilities company so a total shutdown was never really going to be possible or on the cards, especially when we're the primary financier of a football club which now turns over nothing but has to pay players their crazy salary. Then there is the obvious fact that businesses still need Electricity and Gas, although at the moment trying to work out how much customers are going to be using in this unprecedented occasion is proving very difficult.

In terms of working from home, I'm really not enjoying it. I'm having to remote in from my home computer and running some of the models that I use on a daily basis is proving very difficult.

I actually think that the lockdown has started to help somewhat in terms of the reaction of the general public, a few weeks ago it just seemed like mass panic all the time with shelves in supermarkets totally empty, which just perpetuates the mindset of panic buying. I went in one shop 2 weeks ago and entire aisles were just empty, I think now with the supply chain starting to catch up and fill in the gaps, general sentiment that "there is enough for everybody" as well of bulk buying restrictions, things seems to be calming down. There is however still the thing of people not taking the lockdown or social distancing seriously or believing that on particular occasional they are exempt.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:29 am
Captain
Captain

So today will mark my 17th day at home, 12th day working from home, and "officially" Day 7 of the quarantine for our county and neighboring counties, however that said the Kansas Governor expanded the stay at home state wide last week, and Missouri who haven't done a dang thing other than "make your own call" and on Friday Missouri's Governor decided to deploy the National Guard for "Assistance" for people.

I told a guy from our gaming group I wanted a selfie of him in front of a Humvee throwing up some gang signs! LOL

Grocery store on Friday was well stocked, aside from the toilet paper and paper towel isle which was barren, but things we couldn't get ahold of previously like Milk and some boxed pasta's were now all back in stock, meat and frozen foods also are back to full stock, the only issue is that no one stays away in the grocery store isles, almost feel like you need to wear a dang biohazard suit!

Other than that, things are pretty much going day to day.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:13 am
Captain
Captain

Wraith of Vern wrote:
I actually think that the lockdown has started to help somewhat in terms of the reaction of the general public, a few weeks ago it just seemed like mass panic all the time with shelves in supermarkets totally empty, which just perpetuates the mindset of panic buying. I went in one shop 2 weeks ago and entire aisles were just empty, I think now with the supply chain starting to catch up and fill in the gaps, general sentiment that "there is enough for everybody" as well of bulk buying restrictions, things seems to be calming down. There is however still the thing of people not taking the lockdown or social distancing seriously or believing that on particular occasional they are exempt.

Oh my god, yes. Some stores here, like Target, aren't too bad. Customers tend to give each other proper distance. But the other day I was in Lowes buying screws so I could do some home projects (essential purchasing for sure), and people were walking 2 feet in front of me. And there are gaps in protections, like most people don't try to not touch shopping carts, credit card machines, etc.

I still haven't seen any toilet paper in stores since the panic began. Paper towels are sometimes sporadically in stock, but TP is a miss.

Anyway, my wife and I are both working, which is tricky. Our daughter is out of kindergarten due to all schools being closed in the state (which is a good thing), and our daycare provider has closed up, meaning her younger brother is also home. It makes it tough to get any work done. Kids are the biggest challenge for us (just like normal!).

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 pm
Captain
Captain

Wraith of Vern wrote:

In terms of working from home, I'm really not enjoying it. I'm having to remote in from my home computer and running some of the models that I use on a daily basis is proving very difficult.

Aye, likewise not a fan of it although it has always been an option I've only ever used it when I've had appointments in town.

However, I'm now down with a flu of some sort so I'm out of commission for a couple of days. All the traditional symptoms of cough and fever. Energy is sapped, its a pain in the ass and I hope it fucks off quickly.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]