View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Car Talk! 
Captain
Captain

So, as some of you know, the year so far has not been kind, and the death of the ZT Crusier 2007 PT Touring Edition Cruiser was a critical blow to our family. The timing of the engine had been of for a while, resulting (for those who don't care about cars) in the valve heads becoming bent or warped, thus ceasing all function of the engine due to there being zero compression. To fix this they quoted me $3200. Which was around more then $3000 more then we had in savings.

So, I present to you, the Kia Rio 2013 Hatchback! It has been dubbed the Ectomobile (pictures of the front plate are on Twitter).

Nice Features:
It gets 32.8 MPG with my mixture of town and highway driving
It has a USP input, so I have a thumb drive in there with 8GB of music

I rather enjoy the car.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I'll turn this into a general discussion to include my potential new car as well. XD

So when you say you don't have 'powerlocks' by that do you mean central locking, or remote locking. Central Locking being open your drivers door and all over doors and the 'trunk' opens. Remote locking being that you can unlock the entire car from a distance with the key or fob.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

As some of you might know I am currently in the process of getting rid of my car, a 2004 Honda Civic SE 1.7CTDi (Common Rail Diesel w Turbo). I've had the car for about 2 years and it has been playing up for nearly 2 years with issues which are near impossible to track down, but a few weeks ago it sort of just gave in and now it will only run in an engine management mode. Honda quoted me £1200 because the Turbocharger is faulty, but it could also be one of a hundred other things. I was obviously advised at this point in time that the car was not financially worth trying to repair.

In all fairness the car was never THAT nice to drive, the torque from the engine though was something which NEVER got boring, but it just handles quite badly, I must have lost the back end going round corners quite a few times in the rain. Oh yeah and the wheel bearing needs replacing so I was nursing it around before the engine gave in. But it is comfy, well equipped with its heated electric mirrors, air conditioning and electric windows, and just an all round nice place to be, a car which is just nice to cruise in.

I had a look at a car today and the dealer being a friend of my dad's is giving me a really good price for my car, so I should be picking that up in the next week or so. Another nice car, but nowhere near the comforts of the Civic inside. I will be sad to see it go.

**Stay tuned for 'new' car**

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:11 pm
Captain
Captain

I was wondering when we would get to see the new SurlawMobile. Nice! I especially like the rear bumper sticker. Just be careful when you go through the carwash, or you might end up in a Comic Book Guy situation.

I guess I should take a cue from this and post a picture of the GPS installation in my wife's RAV4. I used my Corolla as the test run for car stereo installations. My second time around there aren't even any scratches! Certain critics would be impressed. :P

I use a USB thumb drive in both cars, but sadly the RAV4's GPS has a stupidly low song number limit for MP3s. It can only handle a few complete catalogs (e.g. The Beatles and Metallica) before it decides there are too many songs and it cuts off the last few artists from the list. My car handles more, so my 64GB thumb drive works well there. It's got about 1GB free now... I guess I need to stop buying more music!

Wraith of Vern wrote:
So when you say you don't have 'powerlocks' by that do you mean central locking, or remote locking. Central Locking being open your drivers door and all over doors and the 'trunk' opens. Remote locking being that you can unlock the entire car from a distance with the key or fob.

My understanding of "power locks" is any locking system that is automated in any way. So "no power locks" to me means having to manually pull up the lock "tab" on each door in order to unlock it, and manually pushing the tab down to lock that door.

How is that NOT standard in frakking 2014?!?!?!? Stupid car manufacturers and dealers, trying to charge extra for necessary features.

My wife's 2011 RAV4 has remote locking, but get this. It only has a keyhole in the driver's side front door. That's right, you can't use the key from the passenger door or the rear door. My damn 2007 Corolla has 3 keyholes in it, why did they decide to remove those? Probably it's a trick to get more money, because those remote keys are INSANELY expensive to copy, and the car only came with one. So if I'm using my extra key for the car, I always have to go to the driver's door to get into the vehicle. Talk about dumb.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:17 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Moses Rockafeller wrote:
How is that NOT standard in frakking 2014?!?!?!? Stupid car manufacturers and dealers, trying to charge extra for necessary features.

My wife's 2011 RAV4 has remote locking, but get this. It only has a keyhole in the driver's side front door. That's right, you can't use the key from the passenger door or the rear door. My damn 2007 Corolla has 3 keyholes in it, why did they decide to remove those? Probably it's a trick to get more money, because those remote keys are INSANELY expensive to copy, and the car only came with one. So if I'm using my extra key for the car, I always have to go to the driver's door to get into the vehicle. Talk about dumb.

Well one of the two niggles I have with the car I am buying is the steering wheel is quite worn (stupid I know), and that it doesn't have remote locking. Believe it or not, this is a 2003 Ford, where Fog Lights, Electric Windows, CD Player and Alloy Wheels are a standard, but remote locking ISN'T. Even my first car had remote locking, and that had manual windows on a winder and steel wheels with a cover. It is however something I could obviously live with.

I've already been having a look at some nice steering wheel covers, coloured wax to make it extra shiny, and things to black up the trim a little bit. Just for reference this is the same model and colour as the car I'm probably getting Ford Fiesta 1.4i Zetec

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:36 pm
Captain
Captain

Moses Rockafeller wrote:

My new whip (as the kids say) has neither power locks nor remote locks.

Meaning if I wish to lock or unlock the vehicle, I must manually flip the lock latch on all 4 doors, and lock the hatchback with the key.

To unlock and enter the vehicle, I have to do the same. The car has now power windows, meaning if you want to roll one down, you have to turn the crank handle.

The car has no cruse control either, which is fine, the PT Cruiser didn't have it, so I've grown accustomed to not using it.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:12 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
Moses Rockafeller wrote:

My new whip (as the kids say) has neither power locks nor remote locks.

Meaning if I wish to lock or unlock the vehicle, I must manually flip the lock latch on all 4 doors, and lock the hatchback with the key.

To unlock and enter the vehicle, I have to do the same. The car has now power windows, meaning if you want to roll one down, you have to turn the crank handle.

The car has no cruse control either, which is fine, the PT Cruiser didn't have it, so I've grown accustomed to not using it.

Does it have power steering?

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:26 am
Captain
Captain

Wraith of Vern wrote:
Does it have power steering?

Yes, the car also has brakes.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:15 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Manual locks and windows aren't so bad. I still drive my old 1994 Saturn SL2, which has no power locks/windows. I very MUCH prefer it to some of the new junk some of my friends drive. I have seen cars that have no physical locks at all. It's all inside the door, so if you need to "manual override" the car's auto-locking feature, you simply can't. There is literally no tab to pull up on, no flip to toggle, nothing, you are totally at the mercy of the car to let you out. Combine that with all the stupid touchscreen crap, unnecessary talking and dinging... yeah, I'm driving my 94 Saturn forever.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:27 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rogue Vulcan wrote:
Manual locks and windows aren't so bad. I still drive my old 1994 Saturn SL2, which has no power locks/windows. I very MUCH prefer it to some of the new junk some of my friends drive. I have seen cars that have no physical locks at all. It's all inside the door, so if you need to "manual override" the car's auto-locking feature, you simply can't. There is literally no tab to pull up on, no flip to toggle, nothing, you are totally at the mercy of the car to let you out. Combine that with all the stupid touchscreen crap, unnecessary talking and dinging... yeah, I'm driving my 94 Saturn forever.

I think when it comes to a physical lock, you have to actually believe that there is an interior override. My dad and grandad have had a few cars without a physical lock showing above the door trim. In some cases the lock only effects the exterior handle. ie. The exterior handle won't open the door, but the interior one always will. Or a case of you pull the interior handle twice and the door will open. These sorts of things have been in cars for donkeys years, my dad had a 1998 VW Passat where if the door locked the lock catch would be buried flush with the door trim.

I think you should rest safe understanding that engineers like Josh will have included physical safety measures to stop you from being stuck in your car.

One thing I don't like about some newish cars is there the level of integration between the onboard computer and stereo, that really can be annoying. Especially when you'll have a car with no USB or AUX input, but the climate control and all other computer systems are all wired into the same system and screen. This is a very common occurrence in cars designed in the mid-2000s

But I'm guessing you'll be driving your Saturn until the engine cracks, which was a common fault on the SOHC LK0 and L24 engines.

Thu May 01, 2014 5:48 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Wraith of Vern wrote:
I think you should rest safe understanding that engineers like Josh will have included physical safety measures to stop you from being stuck in your car.

Bah, I've seen too many stupid design choices in cars to blindly trust automotive engineers. I'm sure most, if not all of the "lockless" cars have a backup, but it still seems pretty stupid to me to not have the physical lock be accessible to the user.

Quote:
But I'm guessing you'll be driving your Saturn until the engine cracks, which was a common fault on the SOHC LK0 and L24 engines.

Ah, but I have the DOHC engine. And if it did crack, I'm replacing it. I'd rather pay out $2,000 for a new engine in that car than that same $2,000 (or vastly more) for some other car of unknown reliability. I'm only getting rid of my Saturn if someone wrecks it beyond repair, or if it's repair cost is just more than we can possibly afford.

Thu May 01, 2014 6:27 am
Captain
Captain

Rogue Vulcan wrote:
Wraith of Vern wrote:

Bah, I've seen too many stupid design choices in cars to blindly trust automotive engineers. I'm sure most, if not all of the "lockless" cars have a backup, but it still seems pretty stupid to me to not have the physical lock be accessible to the user.

There probably is some manual backup, considering the amount of public scrutiny cars get in terms of safety. But if it's not obvious how to do it, that won't help you much if you end up being stuck in your car in a panic.

My 2007 Corolla and 2011 RAV4 both have the lock tabs that you can flip manually, but my RAV4 does have the keyhole shortage I mentioned - only the driver's side front door has a keyhole, so if you don't have the remote key, it's a PITA to open other doors. My Corolla doesn't have remote locking (which I don't care that much about), but it does have keyholes on both front doors, as well as the trunk. It still blows my mind why they would remove that.

Thankfully my cars don't have the stereo/onboard computer issue Vern mentioned, although the two systems are part of the same "console" thingy. Replacing the stereo in both cars involved having to pull out the climate control stuff too, although it was easy to put back, thankfully.

Thu May 01, 2014 6:52 am
Commander
Commander

Wraith of Vern wrote:

FTFY

Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 am
Captain
Captain

Magellanic wrote:
FTFY

Except now the gauges are backwards! 0 MPH is on the right of the gauge? MIND BLOWN.

Thu May 01, 2014 9:27 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

So I got my new car today, so after taking it for a quick drive I thought that I'd post some pictures which I took and just give my thoughts on the new car.

Its a 2003 Ford Fiesta Zetec it has done 80,000 miles and has a 1.4 litre 4-cylinder engine putting out about 80 Horsepower and 124 NM of Torque. Equipment wise it is alright, I have a CD Player, front electric windows, central locking, but no remote locking this is something I am already finding to be a bit of a pain but I'm sure I'll get used to it. On the up side it does have front Fog Lights, not even my Civic had front Fog Lights. I am also downsizing from a mammoth 6 in-reach cup holders to only 1.

So now onto the driving, today was the first time that I had actually driven the car, obviously my dad had driven it and I'd read reviews but I hadn't actually driven it at all. This might only make sense to a few of you, but the first thing I noticed was the clutch and how light it was. I remember going from a small petrol engined car to my diesel Civic and the clutch was just soo heavy to operate. But this is something that over the past few years I'd learned to deal with and actually like. So the light clutch pedal will get some getting used to, especially finding the magically 'biting' point, because at the moment there is very little finesse when I pull out from a junction. It is the sort of like "hope I got it right, then floor it". To an observer I surely looked like a learner.

Onto the POWERRRR, well there is some. Like I've said before, my Civic was a 1.7 litre Turbocharged Diesel engine with 100hp and 225 NM of Torque, a very lazy engine which red lines at 4500rpm and you get the huge turbo kick at like 2000-2500rpm. A naturally aspirated petrol engine is obviously quite different considering it red lines at something like 6200rpm, but revving it I always expect a sudden increase in torque, but there obviously isn't any, so I have to push it quite a bit harder. Obviously this is just changing driving styles to match different engines, but that sheer torque is something I will definitely miss.

Either way, I'm still sort of granny driving it a little bit before a get a proper feel for the steering, my Civic was a little vague in the corners where this seems quite sharp and nimble.

Onto the pictures:

The interior isn't too bad either, it isn't exactly luxury but it is quite simple and not a bad place to be. I mean it could have floral seats like some of the French cars in its class. My only niggle which it before I even bought it was the fact that the steering wheel is quite heavily worn, but I've already sorted that with a cheap steering wheel cover.

Thu May 01, 2014 10:03 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Moses Rockafeller wrote:
Thankfully my cars don't have the stereo/onboard computer issue Vern mentioned, although the two systems are part of the same "console" thingy. Replacing the stereo in both cars involved having to pull out the climate control stuff too, although it was easy to put back, thankfully.

I cannot STAND the over-computer-ification of the modern car. It just makes everything more complicated, less repairable, more expensive, and generally worse. And I don't see how more people don't get in wrecks, what with looking at the screen all the time to adjust climate controls, radio settings, navigation, etc. At least with physical controls, you can adjust them without looking much of the time. Ugh, I am going to hate having to get a "modern" car at some point...

Thu May 01, 2014 8:51 pm
Commander
Commander

Rogue Vulcan wrote:
I cannot STAND the over-computer-ification of the modern car. It just makes everything more complicated, less repairable, more expensive, and generally worse. And I don't see how more people don't get in wrecks, what with looking at the screen all the time to adjust climate controls, radio settings, navigation, etc. At least with physical controls, you can adjust them without looking much of the time. Ugh, I am going to hate having to get a "modern" car at some point...

Funny, I LOVE it! I feel like I'm flying a god-damned spaceship every time I get behind the wheel of a car like that.

Fri May 02, 2014 12:11 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Magellanic wrote:
Rogue Vulcan wrote:

Funny, I LOVE it! I feel like I'm flying a god-damned spaceship every time I get behind the wheel of a car like that.

No you want some of those old timey gauges, where if they show bad news, you tap them until they have good news XD

Fri May 02, 2014 4:42 am
Captain
Captain

Rogue Vulcan wrote:
Moses Rockafeller wrote:

The RAV4 has a touchscreen GPS (which is old-tech touchscreen technology, which means it sucks; it's not even half as responsive as a smartphone or tablet), but my Corolla doesn't. My stereo system uses a menu on-screen to scroll through songs and sound settings, but it's pretty minimal. I wouldn't be able to select and play MP3s without it, and having the stereo that way isn't really annoying to me. Everything else about the car is manual (except the transmission :P ). Even the 2011 RAV4 is mostly "physical". The gauges are all traditional, and the only thing controlled by a screen is the GPS that we added (it wasn't included). I think it's still possible to get modern cars that aren't over computerized.

Fri May 02, 2014 5:23 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Moses Rockafeller wrote:
Rogue Vulcan wrote:
Moses Rockafeller wrote:

The RAV4 has a touchscreen GPS (which is old-tech touchscreen technology, which means it sucks; it's not even half as responsive as a smartphone or tablet), but my Corolla doesn't. My stereo system uses a menu on-screen to scroll through songs and sound settings, but it's pretty minimal. I wouldn't be able to select and play MP3s without it, and having the stereo that way isn't really annoying to me. Everything else about the car is manual (except the transmission :P ). Even the 2011 RAV4 is mostly "physical". The gauges are all traditional, and the only thing controlled by a screen is the GPS that we added (it wasn't included). I think it's still possible to get modern cars that aren't over computerized.

The trick is that if you're buying a new car, just don't buy anything with SatNav, that way you won't get a colour touch screen or anything down those lines. But what you will get is a decent stereo with an AUX input somewhere. Obviously a lot of the climate control system can be linked into the same screen, but as long as you can play music from your phone/mp3 player you won't care.

I'm basing this off of my Dad's 2012 Citroen DS3 which is a compact. No SavNav, but thinks like climate control, mileage computer a few other little things are linked through to the main stereo screen. But again it is all physical buttons. But you would be hard pressed to find a brand new car with no computer system at all built in.

Fri May 02, 2014 5:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next