View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Next Gen Gaming Topic 
Captain
Captain

I can't resist.

So I messaged Surlaw that the PS5 rumors had decided to come in full force and the internet reacted with either this is amazing news or wtf sony? boycott.

What are the rumors you might ask?

Simply put its a AMD Ryzen CPU and a Navi based GPU. It is effectively the next generation of AMD products in a console, and that console will come out in 2018 Winter. And apparently dev kits have been going out for the last few months.

But is this likely?

Well it is the natural evolution. If I was put in charge of the next PS4/XB1 and was told it had to be out 18/19 I'd pick those components. It'd roll over the PS4 Pro truth be told, and it would manage 4K/60fps (really it would).

But is it really likely?

Well no, this is actually the fourth time I've heard Dev Kits for Next-Gen hardware from Sony has been going out since December. However this does not necessarily point to a 2018 launch, games aren't made in a year (Well most decent games). And with the similarities in technology if the above rumored specs are true converting a PS4 game to a that would actually be relatively simple. Getting everything out of that hardware however would take longer. Two years for example would be ample time. The Dev Kits won't use proper hardware though, just an approximation for what they think it will be in the end. The Wii U Dev Kits for example were ironically significantly more powerful than what was released and that led to teething issues.

I've likewise heard for example a major developer has decided that in penning the latest scroll for its long standing series it will not launch on the current gen but the next gen only despite a sequel never releasing on the current generation. I'm not sure I buy it, but whatever.

And another developer, has apparently decided its upcoming title is to be the last on this generation later this year. But I suspect in the North they're not quite finishing considering how poor their output has been since 2013, especially with no new games on this generation.

And finally, job offerings are hinting at new technologies, API's the current generation do not use. This could point to PC development obviously, but the weighting changes. A new generation would use the modern API.

So is it actually happening?

I'm actually going to say yes...but not in 2018. In 2019 however I think that is when its a go.

The PS4 Pro was released as a mid cycle product in November 2016, 3 years after the PS4. A 2019 November release date would solidify that mid-cycle plan.

The PS4 and Xbox One were both frankly underpowered at launch. The most recent Ipad is within spitting distance of them, the next one might very well exceed them both and in a tablet form factor that's an amazing progression. The Nintendo Switch is beyond the Wii U and thats even smaller based off of old technology.

However, I believe we're going to have a level of cross-gen games beyond the PS4/XB1. The Zen/Navi architecture is an evolution of whats in use now. It could easily do backwards compatibility, maybe even natively. Whilst it might not be able to BC a PS3 (That thing was just a monster to program for) it would be able to at least run PS4 games. And of course if its the same technology it would be easy to develop a PS4/5 version side by side the only difference being one is going to use proper 4K assets and run at twice the framerate.

Thats the final thing to point out here. The Xbox One X uses proper 4K assets because its got enough memory to use them. The games though launch on a 50gb disc and need a 50gb patch to run. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 used the newer 100+GB format for games. That in its own right is quite scary actually. Skyrim was 5.5gb on the PC in 2011, its remaster was 20gb in 2016. Its sequel could well hit 100gb. That's a rapid expansion in assets from 720p to 4K. Its also partially why games are becoming so expensive, art production has just skyrocketed since 2010. And on that note I sign off for now.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:35 pm
Captain
Captain

I'm too poor and out of space for ANOTHER console! Say it ain't so! iconcom

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
I'm too poor and out of space for ANOTHER console! Say it ain't so! iconcom

Of course, with all this going around more people are coming forward to say essentially nah it aint happening for a while.

At the end of the day though as I've said before this generation was just underpowered compared to past generations. The PS3 and 360 were powerhouses for thier time in part due to the custom hardware they went with, the same does not apply to the current generation.

And unlike the last generation this generation is facing an even higher power gap as time goes on. Mobile is advancing at an immense speed. PC Gaming isn't getting cheaper either with mining and RAM production issues causing prices to skyrocket across the board.

Simply put the industry is not in a good place right now, consoles are sort of booming because PC gaming is harder to get into due to the hardware troubles. Honestly, had that not occurred it would have been the other way around and the ramifications would have been interesting to see.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm
Captain
Captain

A Sony President confirmed yesterday the PS4 is now in its final life stage.

Ehh basically PS5 by November 2020.

Tue May 22, 2018 4:08 pm
Captain
Captain

Thought I'd pop in and post a handful of updates.

First of all let it be noted that I felt like E3 2018 was that feeling you get a year before a new generation arrives but some things have come up pointing in that direction.

A Sony Engineer has recently had an update to his Linkedin to state he was working on a Zen Compiler, the AMD CPU that is currently in use. It was widely anticipated a next generation would use the Zen part given its an absolute monster compared to everything else AMD has had for a long time. A 8 Core Zen part with hyperthreading running at say 2.3-2.8ghz would run circles around the PS4/XB1. It would also allow backwards compatibility.

The second part of that puzzle is TMSC. TMSC manufacturer computer components, specifically CPU's. They recently had a breakthrough allowing mass manufacture of the brand new 7nm node. So forget what I said with the switch going from 20nm to 16nm they've managed 7nm and apparently it is very sustainable. The first chip to feature it is supposedly going to be the 7nm A12 chip for the next Iphones. So the 2018 iphones are either going to get a very nice speed bump or become very efficient compared to right now as leaks point to the latter. Could be early testing of course. The A11 is a Hexa-Core (2 Big and 4 Small) that can run at 2.4ghz. For a console you'd think a bigger footprint should be possible. That means by Autumn 2019 shall we say, the 7nm node will be easily in mass-manufacturing mode which is the point where Console makers tend to make the jump.

That means a hypothetical Zen 2 chip at 7nm could feature, compared to the Jaguar 14nm in the Pro/X. In other words, hell a lot more transisters and because Zen runs circles around Jaguar that would be a straight 3-4x improvement hypothetically. Jaguar is a 2011 laptop chip, the 14nm varient is just a shrunk version. Zen 2 would be a early 2018 model, a very big jump.

Then we have the final piece of the puzzle. Recently it was leaked AMD have a lot of their team working on a smaller GPU than normal, something alongside a big Japanese company to be specific Sony. Its strange because it highlighted that 2/3's of AMD were working on Navi the effective successor to the current generation and was a big reason for some big departures at AMD. The source for this was a former AMD executive who by the sounds of it lost the plot at the decisions being taken.

In many ways it makes sense though, AMD has carved out a nice slice of the market through this semi-custom hardware that sells millions directly feeding into their coffers and they're paid for the privilege for it. One final point here, is GDDR6 has entered manufacturing as well which means bandwidth would not be a problem.

All signs point to November 2019 at this rate. A lot of what was shown at E3 I'm half expecting to move over or be cross-platform.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:59 pm
Captain
Captain

PS5 announced.

Now I’m out of work and can start putting words to paper. What do the specs mean and is this a big jump forward?

Comparing to the original PS4, yes absolutely. Comparing to the PS4 Pro? Yes and no.

CPU

The PS5 will have an eight core Zen 2 Processor vs the PS4/Pro’s Jaguar. This is possibly the biggest upgrade to come out of it. Jaguar is a tablet/notebook processor from 2013 modified to use 8 rather than 4 cores.

Jaguar was not the best pick in the world for either the PS4/Xbox one but it's what we’ve been stuck with for the past few years and consequently has held the industry back somewhat.

Titles like Assassin’s Creed Unity featuring the city of Paris in the late eighteenth century with ideally 1000’s of NPCs on screen could not hit its real potential because the processor held it back. The CPU choice literally shaped the design of games in the generations and held back the scope, physics and potentially AI games could use.

Back in 2013 AMD were stuck in development hell releasing processors that simply couldn’t hold a candle against Intel and Jaguar was no different.

Zen is a different kettle of fish, a modern processor that runs circles around Jaguar and Zen 2 so far appears to be even more efficent in power consumption whilst being able to use even more power. So thats a fantastic improvement and should start to give developers options on future open world titles especially. If it can do PS4 BC it could even do PS3...maybe.

GPU

Details are light, but we know its an improved graphics card and leaks would indicate it’ll be pretty powerful for its dimensions. The PS4 Pro was impressive considering specs as far as the 4K is concerned - Not native but good image nevertheless. Navi will be more efficient, and should be able to tick the Native 4K box.

It also has Ray Tracing support, yet to see how this pans out because I doubt they’ll dedicate actual hardware for it and use the compute units to brute force instead. Nvidia are investing big in this tech, but AMD are only just getting started.

Memory

Onto RAM. They didn’t mention anything but rumors are 24GB + 4GB (OS) of it. If they’re dedicating 24gb of RAM to the console that’s a significant jump from 8gb on the base system. With 4K 8gb RAM on the GPU alone is easily reached on modern titles so yes 24gb should be ample enough for the artists to work with.

Storage
SSD is the base. Again this is a good jump from HDD. Loading times become very short as anyone with a modern gaming PC knows, it also will reduce “pop in” so as your walking through a game and you see trees randomly appear ect, that should be gone now or significantly reduced at least so win win. They claim it goes faster than any SSD on a conventional system...plugged directly into the motherboard through PCI-E 4 might do it but we will see. I’d hope for 2TB, however leaks have indicated its 1TB. Not a good show considering 4K titles on the Xbox One X are starting to exceed 100gb.

They also remain committed to physical media. I hope its 4K Blu-Ray or the 100gb discs. I don’t fancy 50gb+ patches for the bigger games.

Extras

PSVR is still compatible so that's good, rumors are PSVR2 is on route and hardware on the motherboard supports so interesting to see if that pans out. Smart to continue to support as building install base is harder with external peripherals.

Some titles will be cross-gen. If this means they’ll be sold separately as PS4 and PS5 games or just PS4/5 games with enhanced features playing on the PS4 remains to be seen. Patents suggest the latter, but we don’t know how Sony rolls that die because getting two copies of the game sold is better than one.

2020 release date. Rumors last year said late 2019 but could slip and currently its suggested March 2020 is the potential time frame. They want to beat Microsoft to the punch, March would be the right time to do that.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:13 pm
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
I’d hope for 2TB, however leaks have indicated its 1TB. Not a good show considering 4K titles on the Xbox One X are starting to exceed 100gb.

1TB SSD? How is that possible while keeping the cost down? I can see it if it's a hybrid drive, that only uses the SSD part as cache for the current game. Which would make sense actually.

Anyway, they're saying this will do 8K, which seems unlikely. I guess 4K will be "true 4K" and 8K will be cheated.

Interesting stuff. I didn't see a 2020 release date by the way. Mark Cerny saying "not 2019" doesn't mean 2020.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 am
Captain
Captain

Moses Rockafeller wrote:
Will Lucky wrote:
I’d hope for 2TB, however leaks have indicated its 1TB. Not a good show considering 4K titles on the Xbox One X are starting to exceed 100gb.

1TB SSD? How is that possible while keeping the cost down? I can see it if it's a hybrid drive, that only uses the SSD part as cache for the current game. Which would make sense actually.

Anyway, they're saying this will do 8K, which seems unlikely. I guess 4K will be "true 4K" and 8K will be cheated.

Interesting stuff. I didn't see a 2020 release date by the way. Mark Cerny saying "not 2019" doesn't mean 2020.

SSD prices have shot down in the last year, they’re expected to keep doing so. I just hope its enough. The decision for Sony to use 8gb of GDDR5 in 2013 when the console was announced was last minute based on price. All devs including their own first parties had kits with 4gb and were not informed of the pleasant last minute change. SSD prices will probably be the same business.

I thought Hybrid too, until he specifically said and I quote “claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.” I have an NVME in my system plugged into a PCI-E slot, it can do 1.5gb/s, I think the high end one is like...2.5. Zen 2 can use PCI-E 4, Sony might have got an SSD with that in mind but that limits upgradability potentially. I don’t think a Hybrid can throw data between the two at 2.5gb/s so I don’t know how it works. 4K games exceed 100gb, and thats a lot of data to churn through.

I think 8K native is to be expected on games like say...Terraria, Stardew Valley and the like. Maybe backwards compatible PS2 titles ect? But this will be targeted at the 4K native experience. 8K TV’s are only just coming out, but they’re at least “prepared” I don’t think its an issue for this gen.

My sources last year said end of 19 was the target, but AMD slipped up with its manufacturing of Zen/Navi to knock it out. I understand March 20 is now the target. They desperately want at least 6 months ahead of Microsoft.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:12 am
Captain
Captain

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/plays ... n=homepage

Looks like PS5 is coming May 2020 at the earliest.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:08 am
Captain
Captain

Moses Rockafeller wrote:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-5-still-more-than-a-year-away/1100-6466503/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

Looks like PS5 is coming May 2020 at the earliest.

Yup,

I can only speculate 7nm production is still being brought online and there isn't enough scope of this financial year which was the original plan. Thing is, we know the APU is in an advanced form because AMD accidently leaked two engineering samples. That tends to happen in the year of release. Problem is, I don't think a Summer launch works either. They might delay to holiday 2020. Let stock build, let games get additional time and potentially get it out cheaper. Problem is that puts it closer to Microsoft, then again they've cut corners before to hit market first (360) to middling effect.

It also goes against no E3 this year, because supposedly that was purposely because they've got nothing to show they want to show. They were planning on their own expo again in November time to get the hype train going so I don't know whats happening.

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:44 pm
Captain
Captain

UGHHHHH they are gonna put Death Stranding on this damn thing aren't they!

I figure ill wait on PS5 till ES6 comes out. (famous last words)

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:14 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
UGHHHHH they are gonna put Death Stranding on this damn thing aren't they!

I figure ill wait on PS5 till ES6 comes out. (famous last words)

They’ve got patents suggesting PS4 backwards compatibility which would allow a game to be significantly improved. It might kill the idea of ports of PS4 games as a result basically if they follow through.

ES6 probably wont be til around 2022. Star field is next and thats next-gen only and then they’ll go in on ES6.

Wed May 01, 2019 1:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]