View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PS4 
Captain
Captain

Post PS4
I have been tinkering with my PS4 for a few weeks now, and Surlaw and Will have one as well (or at least have access to one). I thought I'd make a topic to share screenshots (using its handy sharing abilities), talk about how the controller battery life should be better, etc.

I like the console overall. The controller is excellent, even if the battery life is too short. Remote Play on the Vita works great; I'm definitely impressed by that. It will take a while for it to build a library of impressive games, but it's starting to get there. It's been out for 4 months now and so far there haven't been any major hardware problems, so that's a plus for Sony and us early adopters.

To kick things off, here are some screens I grabbed from Infamous Second Son. The neon effects look really sweet, but they're better in action. The PS4 currently has no way to record video in full quality - it appears to record in 720p (which makes sense, considering background video recording at 1080p would require a lot more processing power that is better used for other things). An upcoming system update is set to remove HDCP, so that will allow HDMI capture cards to record at 1080p if the cards support it.

Anyway, here are the Infamous pics (click the pictures for 1080p):
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And here's one from Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes:
Spoiler:

Wait, I thought this was MGS V? Confusing!

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:54 pm
Captain
Captain

Yeah, 1.7 should be out soon. Will also allow you to dim the lightbar which should save substantially on battery life.

As for myself, yeah owned it since launch and it has replaced every other console entirely. Money is a bit tight at the moment so its going to be a while before I get more games in, but as long as my PS+ sub lasts I'll get them in every month. And Cross-Buy will provide a few as well, Hotline Miami 1 was announced today...and I still play that daily. So thats going to be great at 1080p.

The 720p thing, yeah the streaming/video recording is actually done by a separate ARM Processor and 256mb of DDR3 RAM so explains the shortfall, although that could be rectified in future updates as they continue refining but I wouldn't be optimistic.

Games I'm looking forward to?
Assassins Creed Unity
Hotline Miami 1 & 2
Dragon Age 3
Sleeping Dogs 2
Hohokum

Couple of free to play games as well have yet to be fully ported over like Planetside 2, now that is going to shine. I'm hoping E3 is a blow out this year for everyone involved and I've heard Sony have a couple of things up their sleeve which will work well in enough for that I imagine.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:26 pm
Forum Praetor

Console Heretics!

Cleave unto the one True Way of Gaming, the PC!

Repent! or lose your meager life in the black hole that is a Console!

Yours in The Sacred Way of the PC Gamer Plasma,
Star*Dagger

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:22 pm
Captain
Captain

Star*Dagger wrote:
Console Heretics!

Cleave unto the one True Way of Gaming, the PC!

I thought the PlayStation 4 was a PC? Now I'm really confused.

Will Lucky wrote:
Yeah, 1.7 should be out soon. Will also allow you to dim the lightbar which should save substantially on battery life.

Speaking of the lightbar, it seems like Sony has let developers do almost whatever they want with it. Surlaw and I tried co-op in Dead Nation and Resogun last Sunday, and I noticed my lightbar turned red for Dead Nation, but it stayed blue in Resogun. Both times I was Player 2, and I think ordinarily Player 2 is signified with a red lightbar. Maybe the Resogun devs didn't have enough time to program it in the game, since it was a launch title.

I'm still hoping Sony will tweak the main menu. I see what they were going for, and it's kind of neat to have the Recent Activity display on the individual game "drop downs". But I don't like the way the installed games just line up in a horizontal line. That list can get big fast, especially since disc-based games stay there even when the disc is removed. Sony needs to create a way to organize them, like they did with Folders on the PS3 and Vita.

Will Lucky wrote:
Games I'm looking forward to?
Assassins Creed Unity
Hotline Miami 1 & 2
Dragon Age 3
Sleeping Dogs 2
Hohokum

No Arkham Knight?

I actually have Assassin's Creed IV for PS4, but I haven't played it yet. Other than that, I have MGS: Ground Zeroes and Infamous Second Son on disc. I bought Steamworld Dig on the PS store, and I play to buy Fez when it comes out today (I know it's a port but I haven't played it yet). Both of those I really bought for the Vita, but Cross-Buy is always a good thing. Sadly Steamworld Dig doesn't have Cross-Save, but that's on the devs to implement.

I'm looking forward to Arkham Knight, Uncharted 4, and MGS: The Phantom Pain most of all, but from your list I'm also interested in Sleeping Dogs 2 and Hohokum. I'll probably play AC Unity eventually, but I still have to get through AC4. I like Hotline Miami (although I haven't gotten very far in it), but that to me is an ideal Vita game. For games that really work well on the 3DS or Vita (e.g. 2D games with small viewable on-screen maps), I'd rather play them on those platforms. I don't care about seeing those kinds of games in 1080p, to be honest. I'm all in favor of Cross-Buy though, so that way people can play them on their platform of choice.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:25 am
Captain
Captain

Not too much a fan of the Arkham games I'm afraid.

I just posted those due for this year...although I'm certain Dragon Age 3 and Sleeping Dogs will miss it.

In regards to the controllers, yeah some games do it well like Killzone, starts off Green and goes Red when your health is low. And if your doing local co-op the color changes.

And as for AC4, it is my favourite game in the series hands down, the story falls short though of anything in the Ezio trilogy although I do love the character. But from a gameplay perspective it is one of the best games I've ever played, the Creative Director knew what he was doing in the three years he made this game. Its a shame it had to come out the same year as The Last of Us and GTA:V :P.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:52 am
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
Not too much a fan of the Arkham games I'm afraid.

That does it, I'm taking you off my Sony Friends list. :P

Will Lucky wrote:
And as for AC4, it is my favourite game in the series hands down, the story falls short though of anything in the Ezio trilogy although I do love the character. But from a gameplay perspective it is one of the best games I've ever played, the Creative Director knew what he was doing in the three years he made this game. Its a shame it had to come out the same year as The Last of Us and GTA:V :P.

I am looking forward to improved and increased naval battles, because that was the most entertaining part of AC3.

I actually thought AC3 got treated unfairly. I loved the Colonial USA setting, and it was cool to see historical characters that I was more familiar with than say the Borgias of the Ezio era. I also don't really understand the hate Connor got; I actually enjoyed his story and I thought Ulysses was a cool mentor. Personally I liked getting to play as a Native American caught between two worlds, and part of me wonders if the haters just didn't like playing a Native American. Apparently Infamous Second Son's Native American protagonist is getting similar reactions. Maybe it's grasping at straws to see a pattern here, but it does make me wonder. Anyway, I think taking a break from the AC series for a while and playing AC3 only once AC4 was about to come out, helped me enjoy it more. The speed at which new games in this series come out makes it easy to fall prey to franchise fatigue.

Since I enjoyed AC3 for the most part, I'm guessing I'll like AC4 a lot.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]