View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Star Trek 14 Announced (Spoilers for 13/14 obviously) 
Captain
Captain

Um...wait what?

So yeah, JJ.Abrams has already announced that Star Trek 14 is happening and will feature Kirk and his Crew in an adventure with one Chris Hemsworth...aka George Kirk.

Considering recent events he has announced Chekov will not be recast so likely a new member of the crew or well no replacement at all. He hasn't decided how that will happen, IE if Chekov dies transfers ect. Although I'd think it be respectful to transfer him to the USS Reliant but there you go...

The actual story, well I'd guess time travel is the way to go about it, that or a clone or perhaps george somehow survived but Hemsworth would have to be really aged up. Going off the Beyond trailers the Enterprise has been destroyed so we will need a new ship, unless they resolve that but meh who knows. The writers will also be the original two for Beyond who Paramount fired when Orci was purged for being a jackass who delivered a shit script which isn't a good sign. A part of me wonders if 4 will be a rejigged original Beyond script which would allow this to go into production much sooner.

This entire thing also points to another aspect. Abrams has come running into this, he has writers on board not involved with Beyond in its final form who are considered his people. I'm wondering if he intends to return once again to the Directors chair this being the case. He doesn't have any gigs penciled next year or 2018 known of so he has room in his schedule assuming this is a 2018/19 launch.

Pine and Quinto were contracted for a fourth film before Beyond so this may very well be the last outing of the new crew. If this happens at all. For Paramount to have greenlit this already means god they must be confident about this, Hemsworth is already on board. Beyond critically is a nudge below 09 now, which well is fantastic from that point of view. But commercially? We will have to wait and see how this pans out.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:33 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Will Lucky wrote:
Considering recent events he has announced Chekov will not be recast so likely a new member of the crew or well no replacement at all. He hasn't decided how that will happen, IE if Chekov dies transfers ect. Although I'd think it be respectful to transfer him to the USS Reliant but there you go...

I'd like to see Arex, assuming the CGI could be done well, perhaps even voiced by Koenig.

Will Lucky wrote:
The actual story, well I'd guess time travel is the way to go about it, that or a clone or perhaps george somehow survived but Hemsworth would have to be really aged up.

Could just be flashbacks.

Will Lucky wrote:
Going off the Beyond trailers the Enterprise has been destroyed so we will need a new ship, unless they resolve that but meh who knows.

Resolved.

Will Lucky wrote:
The writers will also be the original two for Beyond who Paramount fired when Orci was purged for being a jackass who delivered a shit script which isn't a good sign. A part of me wonders if 4 will be a rejigged original Beyond script which would allow this to go into production much sooner.

I noticed this too, very odd. What's next, Erik Jendresen writing 15?

Will Lucky wrote:
Pine and Quinto were contracted for a fourth film before Beyond so this may very well be the last outing of the new crew. If this happens at all. For Paramount to have greenlit this already means god they must be confident about this, Hemsworth is already on board. Beyond critically is a nudge below 09 now, which well is fantastic from that point of view. But commercially? We will have to wait and see how this pans out.

As of today (August 7) it's grossed $194 million worldwide against a budget of $185 million and it's currently #5 at the box office so it still has some life left in it to say nothing of it's upcoming release in over 9 more countries including France, Korea, and China. China alone was enough to take Warcraft from complete bust to a huge financial success.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Forum Praetor

There is no Kirk, there is no Star Trek to be found in JJ Trek, move along this is not the Sci-Fi you are looking for.

S*D

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:16 pm
Captain
Captain

Yeah the film has broken even and has some time left to get more (dvd sales aside) so It should be fine.

But Star Trek 4 should be scaled down in terms of budget after this, I at least hope they go for a fun jolly movie to finish it off.

I will say for Beyonds performance though, Paramount dropped the ball. Paramount really dropped the ball on the marketing for this. Where were the commercials about the 50th anniversary? Seriously I just don't get what they were thinking here.

2016 has generally been a bad year for films so far.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:20 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Will Lucky wrote:
Yeah the film has broken even and has some time left to get more (dvd sales aside) so It should be fine.

But Star Trek 4 should be scaled down in terms of budget after this, I at least hope they go for a fun jolly movie to finish it off.

I will say for Beyonds performance though, Paramount dropped the ball. Paramount really dropped the ball on the marketing for this. Where were the commercials about the 50th anniversary? Seriously I just don't get what they were thinking here.

I think a more constrained budget could be a good thing, you'd have to replace special effects with writing, dialogue, and story.

As for not mentioning the 50th anniversary, I'm sure some exec somewhere said that would go against the cool, hip, sexy thing that the younger audience would be looking for.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

cowman wrote:
Will Lucky wrote:

I think a more constrained budget could be a good thing, you'd have to replace special effects with writing, dialogue, and story.

As for not mentioning the 50th anniversary, I'm sure some exec somewhere said that would go against the cool, hip, sexy thing that the younger audience would be looking for.

Wouldn't surprise me, sadly nothing really surprises me.

I at least did my part and got the blu-ray.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:38 pm
Captain
Captain

Change has happened, JJ Abrahms has unexpectedly picked up the writing and directing for Star Wars Episode 9.

He was supposedly pushing Paramount hard for a fourth film he would personally direct, but with this news I'd guess that now falls apart.

I'm also now questioning with this if this film will even happen unless JJ takes a producing role and pushes it still, but I don't think Disney would be too pleased with that approach. It might very well be the case that this series now ends on Beyond. As with Beyonds underwhelming financial returns, the lack of someone wanting to push it and the death of Anton yelchin there are more barriers to this now.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 am
Captain
Captain

Completely agree, unless Discovery comes in like a Juggernaut and just blows ratings off the map (which might be hard due to it needing a subscription service) we might be at the cusp of another dark period for Star Trek.

That being said, even after Final Frontier did lack-luster TNG was off and running and kept the franchise swinging along, abet in syndication.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:35 am
Captain
Captain

Gets even more delicious. Turns out JJ Abrams agreed exclusivity to Paramount until next year at least. But they won't kick off a storm because don't piss him or Disney off. But basically yeah despite an exclusive deal he fucked off to Disney until December 2019 and I think unless Discovery sets the world alight that Star Trek is now dead in the water.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:26 pm
Captain
Captain

The plot continues to thicken with news that Tarentino has been lined up to write and direct.

You know what, screw it. Let’s make this film, even set it in the JJ Mirror Universe for laughs.

Although for the record he has said if he ever got the opportunity he would remake an episode as a movie, his favourite episode being yesterdays enterprise, Brace yourself folks Tom Hardy is now at the right age to play reboot Picard aaaaaaaa.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:08 am
Captain
Captain

Moses and I were discussing this earlier.

Seems like its Paramount and JJ in a room listening to Tarantino pitch the story, with some writers on hand to sort of hash it out as he rambles on, with him maybe or maybe not directing and JJ still producing...

If we remove the QT element of 3.5 hours or rambling dialogue about nothing filled with racial slurs, looking at his 8 movies so far, they on paper are all actually pretty interesting concepts, you know until he writes Sam Jackson swearing for 45 minutes into it.

This might work, and again, the franchise is stalled out again after just 1 really good movie, 1 horrible one, and one that only I enjoyed.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:42 am
Captain
Captain

Oh I enjoyed Beyond. But if they can get his idea down to 2 hours and ideally have him in the directors chair and keep him to the remits of Star Trek I think we have if not a winner at least an interesting experiment on hand here because this really would be the biggest experiment in Trek history putting him into the Directors Chair,

Granted he is my favourite director, but a bit like James Bond I really don’t know if this would be a fit for him. Not to mention he is directing another film due out in 2019 and were he to direct this it would be his final film if his past statements are to be believed.

Abrams is busy with Star Wars so he won’t be doing it any time soon.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 am
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
Oh I enjoyed Beyond.

You fell for my classic switch-a-roo

Quote:
after just 1 really good movie, 1 horrible one, and one that only I enjoyed.

1 really good movie [Star Trek Beyond]
1 really horrible one [Star Trek]
1 that only I enjoyed [Star Trek Into Darkness]

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
Quote:
after just 1 really good movie, 1 horrible one, and one that only I enjoyed.

1 really good movie [Star Trek Beyond]
1 really horrible one [Star Trek]
1 that only I enjoyed [Star Trek Into Darkness]

Well played!

I enjoyed all three reboot movies to varying degrees, but as Surlaw has teased me about recently, I don't do much movie re-watching. Which is dumb, because I buy movies and then watch them once (if I'm lucky; sometimes they just sit on my shelf collecting dust). I haven't bought Beyond yet (although I saw it once), but I did buy the first two movies even though I've only seen them once each. And I'm about to watch Star Wars The Force Awakens for only the second time, despite being a big Star Wars fan. It's weird, because I like movies, but I hardly ever watch them anymore. The point of all this is, I am judging the three movies based on a single viewing of each so take that for what it's worth.

Anyway, I really don't care about who makes the next Star Trek movie. It can't be any worse than Star Trek Discovery, right? :lol: I will say that Tarantino seems like a very weird person to direct a Star Trek movie though. I may be wrong, but he seems like someone that wants full control from start to finish, and being told by Paramount what he can and can't do in a Star Trek movie seems like a departure due to "creative differences" waiting to happen. But if he could work in that production environment, and Paramount was willing to give him a lot of leeway, it could be a very interesting movie. I wonder if Tarantino would try to make a family-friendly Trek movie or if he would try to convince Paramount that they didn't need that audience?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 am
Captain
Captain

I enjoyed that one too.....despite the inconsistencies.

Nevertheless Tarantino did this interview about Star Trek showing he is quite informed although he is quite disrespectful to the new Kahn. Cumberbatch won't be returning for this sequel. But based on this I think he would remake an episode he believes to be fit for a movie screen. Now, whether that is in the TOS or another era is another question. This film wouldn't be until 2020/2021 if he did it and with Beyond being in 2016 well that'd be a long gap.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 pm
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
I enjoyed that one too.....despite the inconsistencies.

Nevertheless Tarantino did this interview about Star Trek showing he is quite informed although he is quite disrespectful to the new Kahn. Cumberbatch won't be returning for this sequel. But based on this I think he would remake an episode he believes to be fit for a movie screen. Now, whether that is in the TOS or another era is another question. This film wouldn't be until 2020/2021 if he did it and with Beyond being in 2016 well that'd be a long gap.

I listened to the video (since it's an audio interview). I agree that he is well informed for a non-hardcore Trekkie (which is probably on par with JJ Abrams). But I wouldn't say he's disrespectful to Khan besides repeatedly flubbing Cumberbatch's name seemingly intentionally (which might have been just for the laughs). I think Tarantino had a good point about Khan and the alternate universe (although the interviewer seemed to be wrong unless I misinterpreted what he said - the Abramsverse takes place BEFORE Space Seed so that DIDN'T still happen in that alternate universe): namely that he didn't like that it wiped out everything after ENT. His take on the movies being ensemble films where the gang is all together now, was interesting.

Anyway, that interview showed a much more restrained Tarantino than I've come to expect. Maybe he could do Trek justice without being full of people saying the N word?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 am
Captain
Captain

So yes, apparently the writing room has been assembled. The Revenant writer is being pulled in for it, Paramount have apparently said an R rated film is on the table. Patrick Stewart has also said for a Tarantino film he would return if asked.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:08 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I'm much more okay with them trying new things in the JJ-verse because if they blow it all up, Prime is still there to go back to

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

cowman wrote:
I'm much more okay with them trying new things in the JJ-verse because if they blow it all up, Prime is still there to go back to

I’d assume it’s in the JJvwrse, but who knows. Oddly. Viacom and CBS are considering a remerge which would unify the two once more under one banner. We don’t know what Tarantino has suggested and it may very well end up back in the Prime Universe.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 am
Captain
Captain

So interesting news has emerged.

Star Trek 4 will be going ahead with the original idea of Chris Hemsworth returning as George Kirk and the film will be directed by S.J Clarkson the first woman in the franchise for a feature length film. Strange choice as she has mostly done TV in Britain and US but sure whatever works.

Star Trek 5 is also in production and would appear to be whatever Tarantino's idea is. So there we go two films strangely enough in production, we know the first one is another Robauverse film we don't know about the second.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next