View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
The Orville (Official Discussion Topic) 
Captain
Captain

TL:DR its Star Trek with dick jokes, an expensive looking Star Trek with dick jokes.

So Seth MacFarlane wants to be a Star Trek captain, and now he gets to be by making his own high budget show. Honestly my only qualms with the show is MacFarlane himself and his lil Pilot buddy, if they were removed, this would be a Trek caliber Sci Fi series (maybe 2 shades down from Voyager in Trek quality). In fact I was more entertained by the neat Sci Fi aspects of the show vs the humor, which was predictable and elementary at best.

But honestly, if the would sliver down maybe a 3rd of the jokes and bring in some morality story aspects, this could run for quite a long time with Fox, it will be interesting to see what the view numbers are.

I watched the episode last night live, then instantly started it over and watched it a second time. Enjoyable. I will continue to tune in until the show isn't entertaining.

"We need no longer fear the banana."

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 am
Captain
Captain

I had a similar conclusion. I was very skeptical of the show after reading the premise and a few reviews, but i was pleasantly surprised by the pilot.

It's an odd hybrid of Trek-like sci-fi and dick jokes, but the sci-fi part is decent. I'll keep watching for now.

I read an interview with Seth over the weekend and he seems to get what makes Trek good, which is an area where I'm not confident in the Discovery producers. But knowing and doing are two different things. We'll see how it goes.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:12 am
Captain
Captain

Seth has always seemed to understand Star Trek unfortunately, it's just he happens to be a very poor actor. Excellent voice actor, he could have done a voice role and it would have been fine. But giving him top billing was always going to be a concern.

Still, be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:07 am
Captain
Captain

Episode 2 was still pretty good, I don't remember if Trek ever dealt with the crew being captured in a Zoo with thousands of other species, but I'm sure its been done before. I know this happened on TOS a few times, but it was never a Zoo, just a way to observe humans. TNG did something similar also.

Seems like the writing for this episode also spread the jokes out a bit more across the cast, so everyone got a few good lines in.

Also nice to meet the chief engineer finally.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 am
Captain
Captain

WOW

So last night's episode continued a thread from episode 2, the birth of a female in an all male race.

While this was still a buffet grab at several Trek plots we have seen time and time again, it was nicely done and actually quite a heavy topic for the show to tackle or try and tackle in its 3rd airing. I enjoyed it, however I was a bit taken back that the crew lost the trial, I guess years or seeing TOS and TNG where they always win every week made me forget that sometimes things some up DS9. ~_~

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:25 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I've only seen the first 2 episodes, but so far I've been mildly entertained. I think they're still trying to find their legs, because right now the meshing between "serious" and "silly" is still jarring to me. Still, I think it has potential, as long as there's fewer dick jokes.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:53 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Just finished Episode 3, and wow. MacFarlane didn't waste any time jumping into contemporary socio-political issues here. I'm really happy to see Orville take on some big topics like this, but I feel like that topic deserves way more discourse than a 45 minute time block can allow. They could have stretched this issue into many episodes, and given viewers a chance to explore Loclan (Lachlan?) society. But most importantly, the issue isn't nearly as black-and-white as they made it seem in the show, and a platform like The Orville is the perfect platform to really flesh it out.

All in all, I thought it was good, but I also think they missed a golden opportunity to explore the issue further. The jokes were a little more subtle (which I liked), but like before, I still got the feeling that it can't decide if it's a serious show or not.

Still, I'll keep watching. I have hope, and it looks like it might be going in the right direction. MacFarlane DID say he did not want to write a serialized show, similar to how TOS, TNG, and VOY were. But even those shows had overarching backstory plots (like the Klingon civil war, where the seeds were planted in Season 2 or 3ish and didn't bust wide open until Season 4 or 5), so maybe Orville will touch on this topic again.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:57 am
Captain
Captain

Orville Episode 4 - "If the Stars Should Appear"

Story Overall: 4/5
Seth-o-meter: 3/5 (1 being minimal Seth, 5 being CBS Seth All Access on Demand)
TOS/TNG/WHO: While this week leaned more back towards more of an Original Series story in terms of flow and events, the overall plot is more one that is heavily used in Doctor Who, and has been since the 60's, a Space Ark.

Right off the bat I like that Bortus and his partner are continuing their relationship arc from the last 2 episodes, its this kind of gentle C Plot character development that keeps the senior officers and their back stories seemingly animated and realistic.

The story as I said is a Doctor Who staple, which works for me, and just as easily as the crew lost last weeks episode, they win this weeks with almost as much ease, which is standard Deus Ex writing, also nice little cameo there at the end!

Seth was more just, Captain Ed this week, the story didn't really center around him again as much as everyone was given pretty equal billing. I also believe that week after week I enjoy the character of his XO more and more, maybe that's because the pilot painted her in a bad light, when in reality, both people have to contribute towards a successful marriage.

Overall, another decent episode. Which actually leaves me a bit of a worry, will the show always be this good, or will they drop the ball with an absolute stinker? Only time will tell, and with everyone still have a big fresh taste of ST Discovery in their mouth all week, I enjoyed sitting down to see some mindless comedy Sci Fi.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:48 am
Captain
Captain

Due to being in the hospital last Friday with my Mother I forgot to review last weeks episode:

Orville Episode Last Week - Time Heist! Good.

Ok, this weeks episode actually halts almost all character development, cept for Bortus being able to eat anything which was a great cold opener, as Capn' Ed and Gordon invade a Krill ship. Actually we learn a considerable amount about the Orville Jem'Hadar, and actually they have a pretty decent alien backstory set up.

This episode also dips into the moral dilemma pile a bit more then last week, when Ed and Gordon try to save the kids, but also melt the rest of the crew in sunlight to prevent them from launching a missile at 100k Union citizens.

I loved it, this was also the first episode not written my MacFarlane, which might explain why there wasn't much more crew development, but I think for now we have enough for the season, everyone is well established, except I'd say The Doctor and LaMarr who could use some depth as we get along into the season.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:37 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Quote:
Elara, can you open this jar of pickles for me?

I think the captain has said that literally every episode now. It's definitely intentional, like "what choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?". I'm not sure if I like it or not. It was funny the first couple of times, but after episode 5 I think it's gotten a little stale.

I think I enjoy the pop culture references (e.g. Seinfeld), but only find about 50% of the humor in the show to be...humorous? Hard to describe.

I know it's supposed to be a parody to an extent, but it seems like so far they're only taking the cheesy parts of Trek and trying to pass them off as serious. But so far it hasn't been cringe worthy. At least there aren't any Tardigrades!

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 am
Captain
Captain

Magellanic wrote:
I think I enjoy the pop culture references (e.g. Seinfeld), but only find about 50% of the humor in the show to be...humorous? Hard to describe.

Just out of curiosity, do you watch a lot of sitcoms? 2 and a Half Men? King of Queens? Mike & Molly? 2 Broke Girls? Sitcom That Shall Not Be Names? Prequel to Sitcom That Shall Not Be Named? Last Man Standing? Reruns of Friends? Barney Miller? Newhart? Rhoda? Mary Tyler Moore? Dick Van Dyke? Community? The Middle? Fresh off the Boat? The Goldberg's? Malcolm in the Middle?

My point is, I generally gather that most Sitcoms fire off jokes at a ratio to the new/inexperienced view at a rate of 1 to 20. 1 joke in 20 might generate a sensible chuckle to the view flipping the channels. This isn't high brow humor either, its the lowest hanging fruit mixed in with some street slang...

So, I wouldn't tune into the show expecting comedy at the level of Arrested Development, IT Crowd, 30 Rock, or whatever your go to source of humor is (if you do enjoy recreational comedy), but its not going to be 3 Stooges slapstick either, there is a range to how stupid TV humor has to work for the layman to not comprehend what is happening and get a 'sensible chuckle'.

Quote:
I think the captain has said that literally every episode now. It's definitely intentional, like "what choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

It's a catchphrase, imagine if some cranky physician keep saying he wasn't a damn X he was a Doctor, or saying 'X's dead Jim'! :D

*also they didn't use the phrase in S1E2, E1E5, E1S6
** McCoy says I'm a Doctor not a X in 16 of 79 TOS episodes
***McCoy says X's Dead Y in 24 of 79 TOS episodes (for those like me who were curious and looked up the information for fun)

LATER DAY EDIT: just wanted to clarify I don't mean to sound like a dick, but the standard of TV comedy now a days is pretty low for a more broad appeal, with your cable exclusive networks like FX doing more cutting edge humor since they have less restrictions, that being said, I am happy to have a TV show on network TV every week that is Sci-Fi, fun to watch, and isn't ruining a 50 year old franchise bu turning it into Mass Effect :D

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:55 am
Captain
Captain

Don't have much on last weeks episode, its by far my 3rd least favorite. HOWEVER, I will say with all this Hollywood stuff going on the idea of the down-vote society is VERY on point and topical for today's social media world.

Also kids, don't do stupid stuff when cameras are around.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 am
Captain
Captain

This week on Orville we saw the return of Darulio!

Played by the talented Rob Lowe we got some backstory and a lil closure to the on going, and at times painfully hawkward, Ed and XO Grayson divorce arc.

I won't cover the entire plot, but at about 5 different turns in the story I was peterified the show was going to reach its lowest point... but I was pleasantly surprised that they actually didn't do the predictable old thing, well... save for copying naked now. Also zero jars of pickles were mentioned and the continuing joke of Bortus being a phenomenal singer was continued as well.

All in all I am happy with them taking Captain Ed in a "Captain Jack" from Doctor Who sort of way, I mean it IS the future, and dialogue like this is gold, "Only thing I am Captain of right now is that taut body!"

Also loved how Alara had told almost the entire ship about their divorce, AND the bits in the elevator were pure gold! Great episode this week, going on my rewatch list along with the episode where they try and steal the Rent-a-Car Bible.

icondel icondel

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:34 pm
Captain
Captain

Yeah, this one was a winner for sure. The elevator scenes were probably the funniest thing the show has done so far.

I also liked how Bortus was prevented from singing, it reminded me of Maggie Simpson being blocked from singing in a specific Simpsons episode:
Spoiler:

On a serious note, I also liked the bisexual thing with Cap'n Ed (does he have his own brand of rum, or what?). It should be a non-issue in the future that the show portrays.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Short version: I concur. Good episode!

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:52 am
Captain
Captain

So, now that Orville S1 is done, I wanted to share my thoughts on the season as a whole. I haven't rewatched any episodes, but I found them all enjoyable. The pilot and the one with Charlize Theron were probably my least favorites, but they both had moments I liked a lot.

Overall I'd say it was a good first season, and I would seriously consider buying it on DVD/Blu-ray. I am looking forward to S2. I think there is a lot of potential for the show to improve on S1, and further explore interesting ideas. I'm sure the jokes will continue also, which is good. I think it found a good balance between silly and serious as S1 went on, so the show can continue from there.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:35 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I didn't realize I had finished the season. I went back to finish it and all of a sudden saw that I had indeed watched the last episode. When is Season 2 coming out?

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:43 am
Captain
Captain

So far Season 2 of Orville has really gone pretty well!

Episode 1 was pretty solid, the drive by sight gag was classic.

Episode 2 was interesting since they went after an issue that is something not really addressed that often in tv, also it raises the question, who has to mop up the holodeck after hours?!

Episode 3, what can I say, we got to see Voyagers Doctor face off against Phlox from Enterprise~! Also we lost our first main cast member, but hopefully she comes back eventually.

All in all, still a quality program

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:18 pm
Captain
Captain

I agree, S2 is off to a good start. I think the balance between comedy and drama is great so far.

I hope that E1 is the only time they show Ed pining for Kelly. We've been there, done that long enough. Give him a love interest and let's move on. I did like how Kelly's new "other" was such a cool guy - they made it impossible to hate him for "stealing" Kelly from Ed.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]