View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 9:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Star Trek Discovery Discussion Topic (Premier/Weekly Reviews 
Captain
Captain

We have a newly appointed cast member for a character mentioned last season.

Oh and speaking of low budget. As I recall, a single episode of Discovery was south of $10 Million. Not too far off a handful of the films I'd imagine.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:13 pm
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
We have a newly appointed cast member for a character mentioned last season.

Oh and speaking of low budget. As I recall, a single episode of Discovery was south of $10 Million. Not too far off a handful of the films I'd imagine.

Wrath of Khan was 12 million, which seems crazy. Of course that doesn't account for inflation.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:14 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Moses Rockafeller wrote:
Wrath of Khan was 12 million, which seems crazy. Of course that doesn't account for inflation.

That's about $32 million now in terms of equivalent buying power. The budget for Star Trek Beyond (2016) was $343 million :shock:

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:47 am
Captain
Captain

Watched both new episodes. New captain is fantastic...what is it with this show picking captains who overshadow everyone? Either way so far I rank it above season 1 and hope it continues.

Spoilers to follow.

Spoiler:
First episode was very much similar format as Discovery so far, however it is clear Pike is from the normal universe and not mirror as he actually gives a fuck about the people serving under him. Set straight after the Cliff hanger turns out 7 weird bright lights go off and the Enterprise is dead in the water for quite a while. Pike takes command all like, we don't know if its evil or a greeting lets find out. Spock is on leave during this time period and off they go to investigate.

They find a lost starfleet crew amazed to discover the war is over and somehow a white peace happened. A single engineer has been keeping the crew alived with what seems ever increasing complexity and all escape except for Burnham who sees an angel instead before Pike saves her. Spock meanwhile has actually been having visions of all these events prior and decided to book himself into a Psychiatry ward to rehab and seemingly doesn't know all of this is actually occurring.

Second episode

Spoiler:
Second episode was far more interesting. While is follows the story set out in the first episode this is hands down the most...Star Trek episode produced so far for the series.

The episode features another burst of light and all of a sudden the Spore Drive deemed illegal for its genetic modification is brought back online and they jump to it. The ship discovers a human coloney which was planted there in 2053 during World War 3. The people believed god had saved them from the war and planted them on a new world to begin anew. Its unique as hell though, because so many people of so many faiths were transported there including Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindi, Buddism, Shinto even Wiccan. Turns out they thought the god had basically saved them, and because so many people of so many faiths were saved decided to actually merge the religions together. Pike determines the planet is subject to General Order 1, they devolved technologically and believe the earth to be destroyed bar one man so they can't interfere and contaminate the planets culture as they have no knowledge of warp. The one man however believes the away team are evolved humans from Earth as his decsendants believed Earth was not destroyed and winds up knocking them out and taking their tech. Pike is wounded whilst Jacob is trying to prove they're from Earth and eventually they all escape job done. Pike does a good un though beams down and tells Jacob the truth safe in the knowledge he won't tell anyone and all will be well.

In the meantime as if on que one of the rings of the planet is starting to decsend into the planet which would trigger a extintion event on the planet. Tilly decides to try and save the day alone for Stammits who is disappointed he didn't see Hugh again whilst jumping and tries to investigate the dark matter astroid they picked up and its potential to act as a navigator she blasts herself into a wall with it knocking herself out almost killing herself. They wind up using the Dark Matter astrorid to move the radioactive material away and day saved. Meanwhile she hallucinates a dead High School class mate from 10 years prior, she doesn't know it though and upon her calling her by a nickname investigates and upon finding out who it is and amazed they're serving on the same ship tries to find her quarters, she discovers has actually been dead for a few years and it would appear like Hugh the dark matter-spore connection can actually let them see the dead. How this evolves is to be determined.

I very much enjoyed this episode, if it carrys on like this it'll be a solid season.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:35 am
Captain
Captain

Hit the midway point.

Actually really enjoying the season so far, other than episode 3 which I thought was weak the change in writers has definately been to the benefit of the series. Its also starting to tie back to TOS far more, its going to be interesting to see how they're going to deal with certain canon events coming up. Still another 7 episides to go, and a couple of heavy topics to go through. It is...quite obvious though they are definately laying the groundwork for future projects whilst they're working on this.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:19 pm
Captain
Captain

Discovery Episode 8 Spoilers, sequel to a previous series episode and I just had to write something.

Spoiler:
Holy Shit what an episode. It started with last time on Star Trek with a recap of The Cage from TOS making it canon and the final shot of the recap is shifting from Jeffrey Hunter to Anson Mount beginning his Captains Log.

Wow what a start. Burnham and a broken Spock are on route to Talos IV which is hiding itself with a Black Hole and Spock takes control long enough to force the vessel through the illusion Burnham was unaware of because General Order 7.

Pike meanwhile is on Discovery trying to determine if there is anything left of the Probe and dealing with S31. The B plot while fun was just not upto the main plot running on Talos.

Talos is very well reconstructed, and the Talosians themselves are simply superb compared to their TOS counterparts. They repair Spocks mind but at a cost, they want the memory of what Burnham did to Spock as a child to destroy their relationship.

They need to get a message to Pike but can't because S31 would track them so send Vina as an illusion to Pike on the Discovery to ask him to go to Talos. Its also confirmed here that Pike is in love with Vina laying the seeds for 2267. The Spore Drive is deactivated though so they have to go the conventional route and are followed by the S31 ship in a similar fashion to Into Darkness.

Both try to beam them off the planet and obviously this would scramble their patterns, it ends with Vina appearing to Pike alone to tell him to let go it will all work out. S31 beam up too illusions of Spock and Burnham whilst the shuttlecraft goes to Discovery.

This is just a very very basic summary, to but to recap that 54 year old episode going into it was just wow and it was done very well with no canon violations here.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:39 pm
Captain
Captain

Finished Season 1 of Disco, I still stand by my pov that Mirror World stories don't do it for me, and it seems like the entirety of the second half of the season didn't do much but BSG it up with big action and big war set pieces. Granted the re-creation of the spore trees to make the jump drive work was using some science, I really prefered the first half of the season which had more exploring space based episodes.

Onto S2!

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:50 am
Captain
Captain

Yeah.

Season 1 was a very good first half. The action sequences in part 2 were second to none and I loved the exploration aspect of that universe at least. But certain parts dragged too much. You can tell, halfway through the season the writers/showrunnner changes and its a big shift.

However. Likewise Season 2 is an even bigger shift and with one episode to go so far now its better than season 1.

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:49 pm
Captain
Captain

Holy Smokes, in just 4 episodes Christopher Pike has become one of my top 3 Captains in Star Trek! Just phenomenal casting and writing, I'm glad they are doing him justice in Discovery.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:30 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
Holy Smokes, in just 4 episodes Christopher Pike has become one of my top 3 Captains in Star Trek! Just phenomenal casting and writing, I'm glad they are doing him justice in Discovery.

So... Janeway, Archer, and Pike?

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 am
Captain
Captain

Close!
1. Nu Pike
2. Wil Decker
3. Shinzon

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:16 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
Close!
2. Wil Decker

Well, he DID win the Battle of the Bulge!

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:18 am
Captain
Captain

Finished the episode about Saru's homeworld and its people, that is some dang gooooooood Star Trek'in right there.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 am
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Season 1 obviously just felt like the show was really just trying to find its feet, especially since we hadn't had a Trek show since 2005 and if you think about it the format of Star Trek series didn't change too much between 1987 to 2005.

So somebody recently mentioned to me about how DIS was mainly butchering established cannon. This was my first though after about 3 episodes for season 1, but the more you think about it the less it actually breaks from previous trends of other Trek shows and series.

1. Klingon Appearance - The show changed the appearance of Klingons.

Well yes it did, but if you look at Klingon appearances over the past 50 years the appearance several times. The first change that will spring into everyone's mind will be the change from TOS to TMP. However you'll also remember differences in appearance in ST:VI, not to mention that strange jelly looking blood. The appearance was then reverted back to a TMP style for most of the remaining shows. We then get the explaination of a Klingon augment style virus which altered appearances in the 2150s which is supposed to explain appearances in 2260's (in TOS).

2. Klingon War - No prior mention

In TOS relations between Klingon's and UFP as well as the existence of a neutral zone does imply possibilities of a prior conflict.

3. Spore Drive - No mention or use in later years

Lets be fair UFP have participated in some fairly sketchy experiments over the course of other series which was never general knowledge. The (illegal) phased cloak of the USS Pegasus being the main one that springs to mind, but you cannot discount things such of the Genesis device or the Omega molecule.

Sat May 04, 2019 6:14 am
Captain
Captain

Wraith of Vern wrote:
Season 1 obviously just felt like the show was really just trying to find its feet, especially since we hadn't had a Trek show since 2005 and if you think about it the format of Star Trek series didn't change too much between 1987 to 2005.

So somebody recently mentioned to me about how DIS was mainly butchering established cannon. This was my first though after about 3 episodes for season 1, but the more you think about it the less it actually breaks from previous trends of other Trek shows and series.

1. Klingon Appearance - The show changed the appearance of Klingons.

Well yes it did, but if you look at Klingon appearances over the past 50 years the appearance several times. The first change that will spring into everyone's mind will be the change from TOS to TMP. However you'll also remember differences in appearance in ST:VI, not to mention that strange jelly looking blood. The appearance was then reverted back to a TMP style for most of the remaining shows. We then get the explaination of a Klingon augment style virus which altered appearances in the 2150s which is supposed to explain appearances in 2260's (in TOS).

2. Klingon War - No prior mention

In TOS relations between Klingon's and UFP as well as the existence of a neutral zone does imply possibilities of a prior conflict.

3. Spore Drive - No mention or use in later years

Lets be fair UFP have participated in some fairly sketchy experiments over the course of other series which was never general knowledge. The (illegal) phased cloak of the USS Pegasus being the main one that springs to mind, but you cannot discount things such of the Genesis device or the Omega molecule.

Well, we don’t know if there were other Klingon wars also. We don’t exactly know what happened between Enterprise and Discovery, relations weren’t exactly great in Enterprise.

Thu May 09, 2019 1:29 pm
Captain
Captain

So, I've finished season 2, and I won't dive into a rant on issues or problems, because I feel at the end of the day, if the show were never to get Season 3 is managed to cover up all loose ends (aside from Klingons) as well as possible.

What I would like to discuss is that the ship travels 950 years forward, doesn't that make it the furthest thing forward in history? I did some basic looking around and Enterprise J exists in the "26th Century", but what did further confuse me was Captain Braxton from Voyager, I don't recall what year he came back from either of his apperances.

Either way, if Disco goes into Season 3 and is that far ahead, im fine with that, ties up why they were never heard of again, and they have a clear clean path that won't trample established canon to play around with.

Overall, Season 2 greatly improved on Season 1, as I am well on the record of disliking mirror universe BS, Pike really saved the show and was a hell of a Captain and role model. Also I think by seeing an updated take on Enterprise, it really set sort of an anchor for what other technology we saw and how it can be made to mesh in with what we know.

Klingons, meh... not sure how you treat that, or if you need to.

BUT, I will say, that I still think the existence of Section 31 morally taints the vision Roddenberry had, he didn't foresee humankind getting to space and being at peace with a * at the end reading (*PS we also have the KGB in space but nevermind that).

All in all, I liked the final battle, really painted how larger than life these ships were providing cover fire for the fighters and shuttles.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Mon May 13, 2019 10:13 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
What I would like to discuss is that the ship travels 950 years forward, doesn't that make it the furthest thing forward in history? I did some basic looking around and Enterprise J exists in the "26th Century", but what did further confuse me was Captain Braxton from Voyager, I don't recall what year he came back from either of his apperances.

Either way, if Disco goes into Season 3 and is that far ahead, im fine with that, ties up why they were never heard of again, and they have a clear clean path that won't trample established canon to play around with.

It is yes, and it is apparently permanent which means Disco now transcends prequel to sequel.

There have been some jokes about Scott Bakula returning to play Future Guy, but other than that we're kinda in the dark. There is a Disco short called Calypso which is worth a watch. Its set quite some time after Season 3 but gives an idea of what the setting is. Suffice to say, its a bit different.

Mon May 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The shift from the 22nd to 29th Century I don't fully believe will be permanent is solely due to the clear existence of temporal agents throughout Star Trek. Most of the time their purpose is to stop incursions such as that made by Discovery. It is possible that in the version of the 29th century shown throughout season 2 these did not exist due to Control destroying all life in the Galaxy. However with Discovery apparently fixing this, we could see them at some point get sent back to the 22nd. Probably some sort of mid-season finale type deal maybe?

Although I honestly wouldn't be opposed to it being a permanent fixture. It does bring into question how technologically outclassed Discovery would be in that era though. I'm thinking VOY: Dragonsteeth here.

In terms of farthest into the future that we have had reference to in previous Trek. Crewman Daniels was from the 31st Century, which again is "enforcing the Temporal Accord, the agents worked to protect the timeline from temporal incursions, and monitor authorized time travel activities."

Tue May 14, 2019 2:08 pm
Captain
Captain

So I did some further digging, according to the MA page for the 31st Century, this is the closest canon thing to happen that far in the future that isn't just a speculated event, we've actually seen it:

Circa 3074: In the Delta Quadrant, a Kyrian historian named Quarren discovers a back-up copy of The Doctor. After he is reactivated, The Doctor corrects the distorted view of USS Voyager in Kyrian history and precipitates a new harmony between the Kyrian and Vaskan races. After many years as Kyrian Surgical Chancellor, this copy of The Doctor boards a ship and heads for the Alpha Quadrant to find out what happened to Voyager and his fellow crewmates. (VOY: "Living Witness")
Circa 3080: Quarren dies. (VOY: "Living Witness")

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Wed May 15, 2019 7:46 am
Captain
Captain

Wraith of Vern wrote:
The shift from the 22nd to 29th Century I don't fully believe will be permanent is solely due to the clear existence of temporal agents throughout Star Trek. Most of the time their purpose is to stop incursions such as that made by Discovery. It is possible that in the version of the 29th century shown throughout season 2 these did not exist due to Control destroying all life in the Galaxy. However with Discovery apparently fixing this, we could see them at some point get sent back to the 22nd. Probably some sort of mid-season finale type deal maybe?

Although I honestly wouldn't be opposed to it being a permanent fixture. It does bring into question how technologically outclassed Discovery would be in that era though. I'm thinking VOY: Dragonsteeth here.

In terms of farthest into the future that we have had reference to in previous Trek. Crewman Daniels was from the 31st Century, which again is "enforcing the Temporal Accord, the agents worked to protect the timeline from temporal incursions, and monitor authorized time travel activities."

That would depend on if the Temporal Agents would regard Discovery as in need of fixing. That finale wrapped it up relatively well enough and without them going back to view events we do not.

Huh, i wonder how temporal agents make that judgement call actually.

Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next