View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
The Real E3 2018 
Captain
Captain

Another year, another attempt at writing this (thanks Walmart...more on that later)

We’re going into this with literally no idea what will happen. There wasn’t any leaks, nothing has been announced and nothing has change….lets just get to it.

Sony

Lets start with the top dogs first and also at the same time the least predictable potentially at the same time. As far as leaks are concerned, as of this moment there isn’t much to go on.

The big games will I imagine be SpiderMan and another internally developed title, I’d guess the Last of Us Part 2. Sony got the exclusive rights to marketing Red Dead 2, so expect that also.

As far as Internals go, Sony these days tend to stick to the PlayStation Event for those reveals, so anything here would be a surprise. The only studio I can think of we haven’t heard from recently are the Infamous developers, they’re due something being announced soon.

Although an exception may be Media Molecule (LittleBigPlanet + Tearaway) announcing Dreams properly, a title they’ve been working on for years. This did show up on Walmart.

Otherwise, it's hard to tell. Rumours indicate a name change for PSN incoming, Shenmue 3 might turn up as well as potentially FF7 remake.

Sony are hard to nail down, its assumed most of its EA marketing deals are intact, and the leak this week about Sony outselling the XB1 2.5:1 from EA themselves would indicate that might be where they want to throw the money so potentially expect Battlefield 5 (WW2) and FIFA to join here. The Call of Duty marketing licence ran out this year, we will see if Sony signed that one up but honestly I can’t tell.

Nintendo

Right, and onto Nintendo who have had some leaks, some announcements and can be to an extent relatively predictable. I have heard some noises here too unlike Sony.

The main theme here will be Smash, that’s the big title and they’re I imagine going to launch it in September alongside the new Online Network they’ve got going on.

I also expect a bit of clarity to come forward regarding the Online Network itself. We’ve had some, but certain issues and topics need to get a bit more detail all things considered.

Pokemon may or may not be announced. I’ve heard so much on this I’m unsure at this point. I’ve simultaneously heard its Gen 8. A third Sun and Moon and also a reboot of one. Hell all three could be true for all I know. Game freak might also need more time getting the engine working on the Switch to the best of their ability and I wouldn’t be surprised to see this one miss the traditional late year release and slip into Spring instead.

Fire Emblem has also been confirmed for this year, we might get a title and a trailer for now but that’s all. I expect it November or December.

We might get another GC/Wii U game or two thrown over as well, we will see. Nintendo have an amazing pipeline for ports now, and a lot of Wii U titles just didn’t get well seen so I’m half expecting it. Mario Maker potentially? We will see.

One weird thing I’ve seen knocking about it is a sequel to Breath of the Wild. I think the timing however is not there, its way too early for it, if it was similar to Majoras Mask as in keep the same assets and build another world and adventure off of them sure maybe.

Shocking announcement might be one Animal Crossing. We haven’t had a full console release for the series since the Wii, supposedly a title was being worked on for the end days of the Wii U when things needed redesigning and shifting over. The timing is certainly right for the franchise to make the big move.

Hardware I can’t see any announcements. Too early for a Pascal powered monster yet, maybe next year. Same with a Mini 64 announcement, probably later in the year for that.

Microsoft

Ahh Microsoft, you must be loving Walmart right now hey?

So yes Walmart decided at the start of the week to accidentally post all the games they’re gonna sell at the end of the year maybe? Including titles such as Borderlands 3 and Rage 2.

Now interesting story, I heard back in February that Microsoft had gotten the exclusive rights to market Borderlands 3 and an undisclosed Bethesda title (two this year) and when I saw this on Walmart I thought well...that sounds familiar.

I also heard back in March that Halo 6 was put on the back burner and the Gears series would have to take a step up, lo and behold Gears 5 to be on Walmarts list. It’s odd all things considered, Halo needs an outing sooner than later.

Forza Horizon 4 will be announced, set in either England or Japan. England is the home studio for Playground and it makes sense. Japan offers the potential for a lot dazzling Neo-lights in a city. I imagine at 4K with HDR that would be extremely beautiful to see. Watch it be New Zealand.

Now, the list has a whole lot more. I wager based on what I read for the most part its on Microsoft's part but well it won’t necessarily be because a title or two already announced for Nintendo and Sony appeared.

Microsoft are in a tough position, they’re flailing and starting to throw money at getting back into the game, but that’s going to take time because Game Development has ballooned to year long exercises, we may not see the fruits of this investment until the fourth Xbox so time is not on these guys side. They might get marketing deals such as the two aforementioned as well as others I’ll going into in their own respective sections. I’m not positive here for the short term, long term yes but not now.

Third Parties

And now onto our next lovable list. The numerous third parties who may or may not have interesting things to tell us.

Activision

Two big known games for this lot, Call of Duty Black Ops IIII and Spyro.

We don’t know who has the advertising rights to what, simply that Black Ops apparently drops the Single-Player campaign and adds Battle Royale...yes really.

Spyro is obviously gunning for the Crash approach which really kicked things off for Activision last time around with insane profit margins. This time around they’re not going to bother with timed exclusivity and release it to all.

Walmart named one Destiny Comet as well. Comet is a project title for a major expansion, so that probably answers that in itself.

Otherwise nothing else here, Blizzard will announce things at their own event later in the year.

[u]Bethesda[/u]

Now this is a weird one. Walmart leaked Rage 2. In my original draft I said watch these guys announce something leftfield like Rage 2 or Quake to screw with us. It actually appears to be real despite Rage not being a Commercial nor Critical success which is more mindblowing.

Now the final piece of the puzzle is BGS, the Fallout and Skyrim developers. Supposedly they’ve got a title for November penciled in. Fallout 4was announced 3 years ago and released two and half later. More than enough time to launch another title now. However, it supposedly isn’t Elder Scrolls but another franchise called Starfield.

EA

Sports, lots of sports. We know of all them so no need to dwell on the fact.

Then we have Battlefield, supposedly one Battlefield V set in WW2. If true this could work reasonably well for them. Didn’t appear in the Walmart leak though which could indicate potentially its Sony's. But we will see.

Other titles from EA I’ve not heard too much about to be honest so should be a surprise or two left intact here. Maybe a new Burnout or Need for Speed? We will see.

Ubisoft

Right, I’ve heard a lot here. The Walmart leak coincided with a rumor I heard back in February again that whilst Microsoft went on a spending splurge to make up for its lack of games they got Splinter Cells marketing rights. It hasn’t been announced yet but it's assumed to be one of this years titles.

Now, we know they have 3 more AAA games this financial year, they’ve announced The Division 2 so that leaves two more. Beyond Good and Evil 2 was leaked by Walmart, presumably that could be one but it isn’t AAA in my opinion.

We have Skull and Bones & The Crew 2. Crew 2 is out weeks after E3, Skull and Bones we will see I wouldn’t be surprised if it slipped.

Now the other...well I know of two titles in production and those are Watch Dogs 3 and the second title in the Assassin's Creed Origins trilogy. However, the timing on those is interesting. Originally I was led to believe Watch Dogs 3 would make it this year and Origins Sequel in mid 2019. I understand Ubisoft like a lot of developers fear something coming in October and believe Assassins Creed, not Watch Dogs 3 has the best chance of being successful in its wake and places may have switched with developers hauling ass on it. So I assume the Greece located Origins title set a hundred years after Origin is the fourth.

On a final note, I’m half expecting Microsoft to have the licensing deals across the board here.

Rockstar

Gotta save the best till last right? They don’t show up but they will have an affect this year I feel I need to discuss in greater detail.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is literally the most hyped game on the planet right now and it's due for launch on 26th October. Now, every publisher is currently setting their games for prior to that, people seem hesitant to launch games in November including shockingly Call of Duty which is a genuine surprise as it’ll be the first time they’ve not opted for November. Battlefield has historically been October and I’m guessing they’ll do the same.

September is kind of a wasteland at the moment, with Spyro, Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider and Spider-Man all set before E3 has even happened for that moment and time. Now more games will likely go in there and October with late November and December making gaps.

Its also why I believe Ubi will launch Assassin's Creed and not Watch Dogs in 2018. AC is a stronger brand, it’ll do fine in a head to head later in November.

The important thing is, developers are going to be very hesitant about launching 26th Oct-18th Nov time. Assuming RDR2 is amazing no one wants to be launching in that timeframe unless of course the game somehow winds up being a complete flop which is a possibility considering they had a massive internal shake up following GTA V which might explain their lack of releases since.

But otherwise that just about sums up how so far we are looking for this years E3 which this time I’ve approrpriately labelled.

Sat May 12, 2018 7:53 am
Captain
Captain

Interesting, it sounds like Microsoft has some actual exclusive games to announce! Granted they are sequels to their Forza/Gears/Halo triad, but they are still new games. Whatever happened to Crackdown 3? My X1 has been collecting dust for a while now. I have a few games that I haven't tried yet, such as Quantum Break, but my PS4 and Switch take up most of my time.

Spiderman looks cool, and I have enjoyed all the Infamous games so I'll likely enjoy whatever Sucker Punch makes next. Insomniac and Sucker Punch have never let me down.

I'm also definitely getting RDR2, but I don't think any other third-party PS4 games interest me in the likely E3 lineup. I still haven't played AC Origins or Watch Dogs 2 yet. I couldn't care less about Battle Royale or anything EA. Oh, I might grab the Spyro remaster/sequel, but I'd really prefer to have it on Switch rather than PS4.

The Switch's portability factor is so ideal for me, that it is my preferred platform for new games now. So I'm looking forward to Nintendo's announcements video for E3. Those Direct presentations aren't the same without Iwata, but I still enjoy watching them. They are very light on fluff and they have a certain charm. I don't usually watch announcement videos for other systems.

Mon May 14, 2018 8:13 am
Captain
Captain

I'd forgotten about Crackdown 3, strange it didn't make an appearance in the leak all things considered. It should be getting close to done considering how many years the game has been in production. Then again it could be in development hell, guess we will see in due course.

Lack of Spyro on Switch was weird, maybe they're going for a double dip approach. Unknown really.

Oh Nintendo are always excellent in the modern era, I catch every show I can that isn't at 2am in the morning though.

Mon May 14, 2018 2:42 pm
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
I'd forgotten about Crackdown 3, strange it didn't make an appearance in the leak all things considered. It should be getting close to done considering how many years the game has been in production. Then again it could be in development hell, guess we will see in due course.

Lack of Spyro on Switch was weird, maybe they're going for a double dip approach. Unknown really.

Oh Nintendo are always excellent in the modern era, I catch every show I can that isn't at 2am in the morning though.

Crash Bandicoot came to Switch later, so maybe Spyro will be the same.

I never watch the Nintendo Directs live, but I'll watch them later on Youtube.

Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 am
Captain
Captain

So handful of little updates.

Battlefield V was announced...after Battlefield One...which was after Battlefield 4. EA seriously? Formal trailer and whatnot next week.

Black Ops IIII was announced with the dropping of the single player campaign and addition of Battle Royale as expected.

Bethesda actually announced Rage 2, fucking maniacs.

And then there were rumors about two Pokemon games called Lets Go Pikachu and Let's Go Evee on Monday, and then Nintendo had the trademark go through the next day...To summarise, Nintendo appear to be doing a reboot of the series. The rumors essentially were these titles are effectively a remake of Yellow, only you get Evee in one of them. Apparently a lot of inspiration has been taken from Pokemon Go. We will see how this one rolls.

And last but certainly not least. Retro, famously known for the Metroid Prime Series and the Donkey Kong Returns series will not be working on Metroid 4 but instead Star Fox Racing....yes really.

Fri May 18, 2018 1:58 pm
Captain
Captain

So a couple of weeks ago there was a rumour going around that Bethesda were going to announce something that would cause people to Fallout of their seats. Now at the time I thought BGS were busy with a new IP and then ES6 so thought nothing of it. It turns out BGS themselves are responsible.

So four theories are FO3 Remastered, Fallout Shelter 2, Fallout Spin-off or even Fallout 5 in the ultimate bait and switch ever.

I”m guessing Fallout 3 Remastered. It’s will be 10 years ago in October and wouldn’t require a large team to get done.

Announcement at some point in the next 24 hours apparently.

Tue May 29, 2018 10:05 am
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
cause people to Fallout of their seats.

Skyrim is ported to a text only adventure to play on the console computers within Fallout 4, final answer! :)

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Wed May 30, 2018 6:09 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
Will Lucky wrote:
cause people to Fallout of their seats.

Skyrim is ported to a text only adventure to play on the console computers within Fallout 4, final answer! :)

Whoa, a game within a game!

This reminds me that I still have not played Skyrim or Fallout 4...

Wed May 30, 2018 7:26 am
Captain
Captain

So yes...excusing text games (lets be honest they'll turn Skyrim into a text game if it sells) we have actual things.

Lets go Pikachu and Lets go Eevee were both confirmed by Nintendo to the shock of everyone. Yellow inspired re imaginings of the first gen basically using Pokemon Go as a base.

Wed May 30, 2018 1:53 pm
Captain
Captain

Gonna try and keep this short and simple.

EA was straight to business, playing it safe with Sports Sport Sports and Battle Royale for Battlefield V which I understand should be released at some point in 2019. Unravel 2 was announced and released on the day, we have a new Star Wars game as well and it was all in all a bit underwhelming to say the least.

Right onto Microsoft, this was very much as I anticipated guns out blazing on the Third Party titles whilst announcing a lot of first party games and studio acquisitions that won’t be felt until 2019/20. DMC5 was announced, I was a little surprised I thought it’d make a showing at the Sony show but no Microsoft outspent for the rights to reveal it.

First Partywise it was all 2019/20 bar Forza. Halo 6, Gears 5...ehh Christ Microsoft are trying. It was a great conference for games, an ok one for Microsoft considering the situation.

What I laugh at though, Sony have the exclusive rights to a full blooded RPG Assassins Creed, Call of Duty Battle Royale Edition and Red Dead Redemption “The most hyped game in history” 2 it would seem. If they’re smart they’ll focus a lot on those games and Microsoft will look to have paled in comparison.

Microsoft also teased at the next-gen console which is due around 2020/1. Very early game for Microsoft to be doing this so we will see how that pans out for sales, not to mentione what Bethesda did. The PS5 supposedly is due in 2019, if AMD can get its 7nm node off the ground (its ahead of schedule oh fuck).

Bethesda came out shooting with a DOOM sequel. We will see more of that in the future I’m sure and an expansion for Prey. Fallout 76 was formally announced as some sort of Minecraft/Destiny mashup from what I could tell. A lot of disappointment out there I could feel, personally I’m thinking we shall wait and see. I hated Fallout 4 I’m more than happy to see what a different spin on things will do.

Star field was the next announcement exclusive to the next generation - Yes we are here already folks. The Next-Generation has begun to hype up and we’re still at least 18 months away from it starting. It’s a single player RPG set in space, expected 2019/20.

And finally the Elder Scrolls VI which is also Next-Gen exclusive and will be released after Starfield....why Bethesda? Really why that’s gonna be fucking 2021/22 you idiots. That stands as the stupidest announcement of the show for the sole fact we’re not gonna see it for around 4 years.

Today we have Sony, Ubisoft and PC Gamers. Let’s see how this one pans out.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am
Captain
Captain

Nothing too exciting for me on Sunday. I'm hoping Monday is more interesting. At least I can count on Nintendo's video being entertaining and having a few cool announcements.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am
Captain
Captain

Calling it now that we get RE2REmake confirmation but won't get anything from Death Stranding except another weird Bowie like music trailer.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:03 pm
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
Calling it now that we get RE2REmake confirmation but won't get anything from Death Stranding except another weird Bowie like music trailer.

Nah mate, the letters are going to magically rearrange to form Metal Gear Zeroes and the world will burn in the aftermath of the greatest plot twist in history.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:07 pm
Captain
Captain

Square Enix occurred, which is going down as the worst conference of the year so far. Little to show really other than tomb raider and Kingdom Hearts.

Ubisoft was more promising with a reveal of titles such as Just Dance 19 (Wii Edition....really?) Rabbids + Donkey Kong, a new space fighter game called StarLink featuring Starfox. Assassins Creed Odeyssey which did look absolutely amazing actually. And seemed to have this weird mix between going back and forth on insane and serious. We also had a proper trailer for Beyond Good and Evil 2 which looked good but no gameplay to show for it.

The PC Gaming show was more competent as it has been getting year on year with little to actually show. And then we moved onto Sony.

Sony started strong with The Last of Us Part 2 which looked phenomenal like, literally the game cutscenes I’ve ever seen in a game and the gameplay looked similar on the graphics front with the same old LOU gameplay attached. All in a solid segment, couldn’t really fault it. We got some announcements for God of War, Destiny 2 and Black Ops 3 coming to Plus but truth be told the show wasn’t very good after TLOU.

We got a few PSVR titles, Remedy announced a sequel to Quantum Break which was a little surprising truth be told and the Resident Evil 2 remake.

I know Sony have their own event later on in the year but truth be told this event seemed to remind me most of E3 2012 for some reason, the end of this generation is coming and this seemed to emphasis it. Hell even had TLOU again to double down on it. I do wonder if they’re just holding back for the event later on in the year or if the rumours are true.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:49 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:

Man, I got this half right, but who would figure that Death Stranding was a package delivery game...

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
Surlaw The Mai wrote:

Man, I got this half right, but who would figure that Death Stranding was a package delivery game...

Maybe Kojima REALLY loves Cast Away?

I just hope we get an emotional scene of the Walking Dead guy saying "Willlllllllssssssssssoooooooooooooooon!!!!!!" as his baby turns into a volleyball.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:09 am
Captain
Captain

Finally to round it all off we had Nintendo last, which was basically a 15 minute direct and then 25 minutes of the change log for Smash.

Been a while since we had a shit E3 but it would appear this year was it.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:54 am
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
Finally to round it all off we had Nintendo last, which was basically a 15 minute direct and then 25 minutes of the change log for Smash.

Been a while since we had a shit E3 but it would appear this year was it.

I thought the Direct was "fine", but it definitely wasn't as fun or exciting as previous ones (E3 or not). There were no big announcements in this Direct. Mario Party was the only new first-party game as far as I could tell, and it surprised nobody.

I'm thinking the next Direct that comes in a few months will probably be better. This was a very "safe" and boring Direct.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]