View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
New Star Trek Series in Production 
Captain
Captain

So interesting developments over the past few weeks. I have been tempted to create a thread but the announcement has prompted a yes lets do this.

So the showrunners of Star Trek Discovery were fired effective immediately after they were bullying other writers, their replacement was Alex Kurtzman.

http://www.startrek.com/article/kurtzma ... -extension

Now, this is fascinating because all of a sudden he has power over TV and animation at the studio for the next five years, a five year mission you could say. Now before this was formally announced strangely enough a rumor all of a sudden popped up to say Four+ Series were in production excluding Discovery and CBS simply said the deal is still being worked on, but it sounds like a couple hours later it was signed. So what were the Four+ rumored series? Interestingly enough they go more in line with the vision of Bryan Fuller, a couple of full series but also a handful of limited one off season series.

1: Starfleet Acadamy, a more teen drama driven thing which actually makes sense for the local but makes little fucking sense to actual Star Trek Fans. They're trying to get new people in basically, but I don't think its the right approach. Something like Star Trek CSI has a better chance of bringing new people in as a new concept. This would be by the people who did Gossip Girl, Marvels Runaways ect.

2. A animated series. No detail whatsoever other than its animated which I'd welcome with open arms personally.

3. Kahn the mini-series. Now this is interesting, apparently it'd be set during the Eugenics War and look more at Kahn himself during this time period. Nicholas Meyer has mentioned he was working on something personally along these lines but it was on hold last year so that actually makes sense and with this deal it potentially gets green lit. The only other time period would be whilst he was Ceti Alpha, not sure how they'd go about that.

4. The fourth is another limited series and its unknown what it is. It was marked confidential, and the source may very well have spilled the beans but no one would tell what it was and the details on that below. But it was specifically marked as Short run.

Now regarding 4 there were rumors that Patrick Stewart is in negotiations to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard.

Now on the face of it my first thought would be bullshit, but this is second time this month Stewart has been linked to Star Trek and was asked personally if he had watched Star Trek Discovery and his response was fascinating.

He said "I..oh you mean the series? Not the movie because there is a new movie due out very soon. No I haven't, but I may have good cause to look at it very soon."

Now this is interesting for two reasons, he specifies both the series and movie. He has shown interest in appearing in a film again, but he specifically said he may have good cause to look at the series very soon. And that is strange, my initial assumption was actually he would cameo, but I decided not to post as I thought it wasn't concrete. He could simply have a friend such as for example Marina Sirtis who appeared randomly on set a while back.

And suddenly the rumor of a Patrick Steward led series being in development has potentially arisen and combined with that interview it does make one wonder. Were I to guess, if they successfully got him onboard to lead say a 8-10 episode run as the final swan song which was mooted they'd have little problem attracting everyone else for it from TNG and potentially guests from DS9/Voy if they sought it. And that in its own right is a very interesting proposition.

Oh, why you might ask?

You can cancel your subscription at the end of a season. If that season ends and say the animated series starts right back up the next week and so on and so forth you won't be cancelling that sub.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:44 pm
Captain
Captain

I'd be interested in a miniseries that shows us TNG post-Nemesis. I'm less interested in a miniseries or movie that shows Picard retiring or whatever and just focuses on him. I love Picard, but what made TNG great was the ensemble cast.

I'm willing to give any new series a try, and I think especially an animated series shows a lot of promise. I just hope at least one of these series follows Trek themes better than Discovery.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:36 am
Captain
Captain

I think the animated route is a smart one for anything Post-Nemesis, you can play with the characters and ships in a less costly envionrment, and also have any call back cast still look 'fit for duty' since they just have to do a voice over.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:19 am
Captain
Captain

Yeah, they were no specifics given on the animated series in the timeline. They could get away with anything as yes the budget tends to be reduced and as proven by series like Star Wars Rebels, you can still accomplish damned good results.

Regarding a Picard only thing. I will note, the aim was late 2019 for this. And if thats true, well here is the funny thing. All Good Things broadcast in 1994 was set during three timelines. The Present Timeline and Future timeline were in years 2370 and 2395 a 25 year gap. Were it released in 2019 that'd be 25 years following All Good Things broadcast.

You also have to take into account if the events of Star Trek 09 (Romulas blown up) and the prequel comic (Ambassador Picard and B4>Data) are canon. As I've heard some internal rumblings that as both were Paramount decisions they're not Canon to CBS productions...of course Kurtzman wrote 09 so we shall see.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:30 pm
Captain
Captain

I decided out of interest to actually watch All Good Things again to see if clues could be provided, and I realised actually how open eneded it actually is.

In a sense all Good things was supposed to be the finale of the TNG. But it actually in my opinion opens a lot of doors I didn't realise, or how open perhaps to interpretation is was.

Specifically the Q and Humanity. Q puts Humanity on trial, but he does specifically say it was a test for Picard to see if he could open his mind and his horizons. Something they admit he could, for a brief moment he considered options he never did. Picard specifically asked what he meant, and Q went to respond but didn't saying he would never find out. I suppose that opens the door to the question of, would Q allow a human who has perhaps...met the expectations of a Q to fall slowly to a condition that would slowly erase his mind and turn him into a shell of himself or allow him to potentially become more given he has opened his mind in a similar way to the Q themselves.

Q himself does end it with the trial never ends, and he would seem him again. Would it really be full circle to explore that angle in a limited series focused around Picard?

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:45 pm

It's so cold here!

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:04 pm
Captain
Captain

Yesterday we actually had the announcement of the brand new series which will star Jean Luc Picard and detail the next chapter in his life.

Stewart said its set 20 years after Nemesis so 2399, or perhaps 2400 to be honest so he will be in his 90's. He said he may not be the Captain and it will go down a very different direction. I suspect this series will be something much more personal than the hypothetical Season 8 of TNG many were hoping for. Others may return obviously from TNG, DS9 and VOY.

Michael Chabon a author is strangely enough joining the writing team alongside others from Discovery. Stewart, Goldsman, Roth, Kadin and Roddenbury will produce.

The interesting aspect as to why Stewart opted to return was he said that he had rewatched The Next Generation and considering the state of the world today he'd like to bring some of that TNG theme back. Which may hint at how the Prime Universe has gone in the past 20 years.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:37 am
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
Yesterday we actually had the announcement of the brand new series which will star Jean Luc Picard and detail the next chapter in his life.

Stewart said its set 20 years after Nemesis so 2399, or perhaps 2400 to be honest so he will be in his 90's. He said he may not be the Captain and it will go down a very different direction. I suspect this series will be something much more personal than the hypothetical Season 8 of TNG many were hoping for. Others may return obviously from TNG, DS9 and VOY.

Michael Chabon a author is strangely enough joining the writing team alongside others from Discovery. Stewart, Goldsman, Roth, Kadin and Roddenbury will produce.

The interesting aspect as to why Stewart opted to return was he said that he had rewatched The Next Generation and considering the state of the world today he'd like to bring some of that TNG theme back. Which may hint at how the Prime Universe has gone in the past 20 years.

I'm very neutral on the news so far. I need more details before I either get my hopes up, or decide it's probably going to be terrible. Although I just want to point out again, that I did watch the two pilot episodes of Discovery. I'm willing to give any Trek show a chance. It has to be better than Discovery, right?

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:57 am
Captain
Captain

So, wonder how much of what happens in the JJ movies bleeds over into this new post Nemesis series? Romulus still blown up? Is Data/B4 ever resolved?

STO and the Comics already fleshed a lot of this out, wonder if we have a Star Wars situation where they just ignore and wipe out the extended universe stories.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:28 pm
Captain
Captain

STO and the comics are not canon. The destruction of Romulus however is. The B4/Data comic isn't Canon, but the writer was the show runner of this series so its quite possible he will make it canon.

There is also the matter of who would be available to guest star in the series. Brent Spiner is on record saying he didn't want to carry on beyond Nemesis (mind you so did Stewart) and All Good Things established Data can age which B4 probably can also. They can easily age the rest of the cast. John De Lancie can just mock him like "Look how old we are Picard". So they have leeway. There is also the possibility they'll outright kill people off beforehand as well. They have Frakes directing Discovery still, so if anyone is going to make an appearance...

The other factor is the individual who apparently inspired this new series is Kirsten Beyer the Voyager relaunch author. She may seek to take some things from the literature universe into this. That universe is on a funny precipice as its about to enter 2387 the same year Romulus blows up and they have hesitated to touch on it because the Federation and Romulans are in a full on cold war in that universe. Picard is still a Captain in 2386 having turned down an Admiralty with a portfolio for exploration. We will see what if anything she brings over from there.

But yes. Nothing stopping them wiping out absolutely everything. As I've said before CBS don't have the rights to the films. That's going to be the interesting little thing there, what route do they take they can just ignore 09 outright. Its why I hypothesised a sequel to All Good Things instead, gives them way more room to maneuver and it was left relatively open ended which the films didn't overwrite.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
STO and the comics are not canon. The destruction of Romulus however is. The B4/Data comic isn't Canon, but the writer was the show runner of this series so its quite possible he will make it canon.

There is also the matter of who would be available to guest star in the series. Brent Spiner is on record saying he didn't want to carry on beyond Nemesis (mind you so did Stewart) and All Good Things established Data can age which B4 probably can also. They can easily age the rest of the cast. John De Lancie can just mock him like "Look how old we are Picard". So they have leeway. There is also the possibility they'll outright kill people off beforehand as well. They have Frakes directing Discovery still, so if anyone is going to make an appearance...

The other factor is the individual who apparently inspired this new series is Kirsten Beyer the Voyager relaunch author. She may seek to take some things from the literature universe into this. That universe is on a funny precipice as its about to enter 2387 the same year Romulus blows up and they have hesitated to touch on it because the Federation and Romulans are in a full on cold war in that universe. Picard is still a Captain in 2386 having turned down an Admiralty with a portfolio for exploration. We will see what if anything she brings over from there.

But yes. Nothing stopping them wiping out absolutely everything. As I've said before CBS don't have the rights to the films. That's going to be the interesting little thing there, what route do they take they can just ignore 09 outright. Its why I hypothesised a sequel to All Good Things instead, gives them way more room to maneuver and it was left relatively open ended which the films didn't overwrite.

The most interesting part of this, and the part that will either make me gain or lose interest, is the casting. Will they try to have Janeway, Kira, etc. show up in guest roles? I think most of the cast of TNG, DS9, and VOY have moved on (even the "lower-tier" stars like Cirroc Lofton) and won't want to have a regular role again. But they could show up in recurring or one-off roles.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 am
Captain
Captain

Yeah, at this point we simply don't know. I'm sure they'll be a few TNG regulars on the show but we will see if they can get anyone else.

That or Janeway gets second billing as Commander in Chief of the Starfleets.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 pm
Captain
Captain

Thinking about this, I feel one of the best ways to approach this is similar to what Spock did. He's played an ambassador for a while now, and wants to dedicate the last part of his life and career to one major goal... (Spock put all his effort as we know into reunification, Picard might want to figure out how to get the ashy taste out of Chateau Picard 2371)

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 pm
Captain
Captain

Rumor 2: A New Star Trek Animated series is confirmed. Star Trek Lower Decks written by Rick and Morty writer Mike McMahan is a go.

It will be a comedy starring the support crew of and I quote one of the least important ships in the fleet.

Well guys, that’s two out of five confirmed.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:41 am
Captain
Captain

Will Lucky wrote:
Rumor 2: A New Star Trek Animated series is confirmed. Star Trek Lower Decks written by Rick and Morty writer Mike McMahan is a go.

It will be a comedy starring the support crew of and I quote one of the least important ships in the fleet.

Well guys, that’s two out of five confirmed.

Sounds like somebody is taking inspiration from The Orville. Hopefully we'll get to see them cleaning the toilets finally!

But I'm confused... how is it a rumor if it's "confirmed"?

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:13 am
Captain
Captain

Ahh sorry,

Yes the second rumor from summer was that the animated series was in production. The fourth rumor was a confidential limited series with stewart supposedly attached whcih also wound up confirmed.

Now we wait on Teen Drama Angst Star Trek Academy and a Kahn based show around the Eugenics War. I haven't mentioned a fifth one, accidently let that slip in. But there were whispers of a sequel to something coming as well. But I've got nothing concrete so I shouldn't be running with that one.

So out of the four rumored ones we have two confirmed.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:49 am
Captain
Captain

Early details on the Picard series have been released. http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/01/picard ... -disaster/

Long story short.

As anticipated Star Trek 09's events are canon and one focus point for the series will be the destruction of Romulas, the dissolution of the Romulan Empire and the effects that has had on Picard. Hazarding a guess, those events happened less than a decade after Nemesis. Had he invested heavily in some sort of peace between the Federation and Romulans to watch it go up in flames. I can imagine how he'd feel.

Fall 2019 remains the target...not sure if they've begun filming yet. They didn't have scripts in August...

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:00 pm
Captain
Captain

Sheesh, can they not fire back up the Anti-rihannsu propaganda machine? Now a Frenchman is going to be the "Jesus" to a lost and shattered Empire (which genetically he helped ruin (allegedly) )?? Shame, shame on this entire production!

iconddx iconddx Mehre efveh! icons-d icons-d

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 am
Captain
Captain

Surlaw The Mai wrote:
Sheesh, can they not fire back up the Anti-rihannsu propaganda machine? Now a Frenchman is going to be the "Jesus" to a lost and shattered Empire (which genetically he helped ruin (allegedly) )?? Shame, shame on this entire production!

iconddx iconddx Mehre efveh! icons-d icons-d

Well the Klingon Empire did annex the Romulan Star Empire prior to All Good things so...

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:23 am
Captain
Captain

And we have another series in production (Jesus christ guys really?)

This is one we didn't even have leaks going towards. Its going to star Michelle Yeoh in a series about Section 31.

I mean, it'll be interesting to see Section 31 during the TOS time period. But this getting ridiculous. I was told the CBS dream was one series would end and another would begin within a couple of weeks and they might well suceed at this rate.

So to tally

Discovery
    Picard
    Lower Decks
    Section 31
    Teen Acadamey Bullshit
    Kahn One off Season
    A sequel Series

With Star Trek 4 - 2 Cancelled, I can only guess they'll be more?

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next