View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 8:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Let's talk VR Headsets 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I'm actually considering getting one, but I need more information from people I trust who play similar games that I do.

Pretty much the only two games I would play with VR (currently) is Elite: Dangerous, and Star Trek Bridge Crew. Otherwise, I don't know what else I'd do with it. Jane's Combat Simulations? Maybe ARMA? All in all it seems like a hefty price tag to only feasibly play a couple of games with, albeit with immense immersion potential. But what about the future? What's in the pipe? How long will a headset hold up before it starts to show its age? Despite the fact that the computer does the processing, will lower-res VR displays start to show their age compared to higher res monitors as better GPUs come out?

Do any of you even have a headset?

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:41 am
Captain
Captain

I have no interest in VR myself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like VR has gotten a "killer app" game yet. Both games you mention have non-VR modes, and most of the VR-only games I've seen are "lite" experiences.

Anyway, my little brother recently started working at McDonald's as his first job (he has learning difficulties, and I'm frankly amazed that he's managed to succeed at any job at all). He saved up his money and bought a headset. I don't know which one it is, maybe an Oculus? He plays a bunch of different PC games on it, and he's talking about getting a PS4 and PS VR also (that would mean saving up a lot more of course).

Sorry I can't be of much help.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:22 am
Captain
Captain

Tried them several times, truth be told however I simply couldn’t commit to the format at all.

As Moses has highlighted the format doesn’t really yet have a killer app that sets it aside from everything else on the market and I have my doubts as to whether it will accomplish that anytime soon.

My personal gripe with the device however is simply how, uncomfortable it is from my point of view. I have no issues getting in a good 10 hour gaming session on the occasion, something I did for the first time in a year actually with the new Assassins Creed. But a VR headset I couldn’t manage more than two hours tops.

The final point I suppose is the fact I’ve become more social as time has gone on. Once I’ve got that headset on, I struggled to talk to family/friends around me. Even worse really was I had to take the damned thing off in order to be able to respond to messages on my phone.

The technology is still advancing forward but truth be told similar to the 3D format I’m unsure its going to manage to break through unless some killer app steps forward and the technology itself advances forward a bit more. The wireless step forward recently taken with the Vive is a good first step and combined with a hypothetical second gen Pro model I think it’d be a killer piece of tech.

Problem for me is just, how disconnecting I found it all. That might actually offer a tranquil escape for some, but for me it simply didn’t feel right.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:29 am
Captain
Captain

I am on my 3rd VR headset, I got a 1st Generation Samsung for the Galaxy Note 5, and then another which I believe was a 3rd Generation for the Samsung Galaxy S8. I also own the PS4 VR Headset and several games, including Star Trek Bridge Crew.

Comparatively the Samsung set up was a much tighter operation, tons of games you would play for a little while, customization home locations (where you access the menu from, mine is the middle of a park with a bunch of dogs in it) and apps and 360 videos to choose from. In fact I believe several sporting events have started to host a 360 broadcast option, so hopefully that picks up more as that is really my area of interest, visiting places and letting the environment and sights and sounds seem as real as possible.

The Mobile games are gimmicky, but aren't all mobile games?

On the PS4 side its more of just having the PS4 main menu on your face, DOOM was pretty fun, SKyrim was... Skyrim, which leades me to my next point for a VR game, if you arent using a top of the line rig, you will have cords and wires everywhere, and if you have cords and wires everywhere you cant really turn around much, and if you have limited mobility it hinders the experience.

Now, enough with all that nonsense, let's talk Bridge Crew. Fun? Yes. Hard, oh dear Gods yes, imagine the difficulty of Starfleet Academy the game, now imagine you can't repair the hull of your ship if it takes damage. The TNG bridge is amazing, just to sit there and see the sights and sounds, however oddly enough the JJ-verse ship is the easiest to control as Captain, the TOS bridge might as well be bear skins and stone knives, I've never been able to use it as its far too confusing since all the buttons are just red and blue glowing jewels, and if you turn on the "help" to label them 50 labels show up at once. But, as far as VR goes, i've spent way more time playing TNG Bridge Crew just infront of the TV with a good pair of headphones, as again, im either looking down at my PADD or the viewer, no need for a 360 viewing experience to play.

One small note, if you are a warm blooded person, the VR lenses WILL fog over quickly, I find its less of an issue on the PS4VR, but with the Samsung since the phone is inches from my face the small area overheats quickly, but pointing a fan at me while I interact seems to help.

My advice is find a cheapo headset your phone works with, play with that for a while, mainly to see if you will get motion sickness (DOOM did this for me after a hour long play session).

Give it a try, it is the future! :D

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:52 am
Captain
Captain

OH! And I forgot one of the coolest parts, Bridge Crew uses voice commands via IBM's Watson (not the real one, obviously, but the code)

I did a TNG mission and you can hear me giving commands to the bridge crew, it works quite well actually!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qviDnLKxpsE

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:13 am
Forum Praetor

Oculus

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]