View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Games don't interest me like they used to... 
Commander
Commander

...and that has me worried. I used to be able to spend countless hours having fun with all the games I had, but as I've gotten older and tried newer games, I just find it...lacking. I don't get the same joy and thrill and excitement that I used to. I don't get sucked into the stories or gameplay like I used to. Rarely will a game do that for me nowadays. The only ones I seem to enjoy playing in small doses are Stellaris and Borderlands 2. And all the games I used to enjoy just don't do it for me anymore.

Has this happened to any of you? Is that a symptom of age? Or a byproduct of stress/depression? I've spent so much time bonding with my friends--including all of you--in games in one form or another, but now I just feel unenthused and melancholy.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:22 pm
Captain
Captain

Moses and I discuss this regularly.

I'm to the point now where I might go 6 to 8 months with no games I have interest on the horizon. I play the Division 2 on Fridays with a 4 man squad, but I'm mostly playing for the group experience, the game is pretty much dead to me.

Sure something will come along and peek my interest again, but overall, my gaming years are moving behind me. It's not a bad thing, that's just the way it is.

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:24 am
Captain
Captain

Still going strong, interests might have shifted more to single player titles maybe over the past couple of years but still going at it.

Granted my time has reduced which means I’m buying less but around pub quizzes, relationship and saving for a house kind of don’t have the time i wish i had for it.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:41 am
Commander
Commander

This might be the most depressing thread I've read on here. Considering the origins of our gallant crew, coming together in the heat of battle on ST Legacy, it seems almost tragic that we've gotten to this point.

That being said, some of my fondest memories with you guys was when we'd get together Friday nights and play Elite Force II and get pwned by Captain-level Ferengi all named Omag. I suppose the same can be said about Legacy. It was always less about the game and more about the sense of community that came with it. I think that's what I'm missing nowadays. I don't have an online community that I'm a part of for gaming anymore. I don't know what happened.

Oh wait nevermind I know what happened. Grad school -_-

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 am
Captain
Captain

I think a lot of it has to do with change as we get older. Like you said, grad school for you, and I would add work and family for others of us. I look back at my PC gaming days (now I only play on console and a LOT of portable play - e.g. Switch) and think "why the hell did I spend hundreds of hours playing X3???" But I was a different person with different priorities and more free time then.

Even going back just 3 years or so, my gaming habits have changed. I don't "hunt trophies/achievements" anymore, and I have no qualms about dropping games after an hour or so if they are boring me. No Multiplayer games have sucked me in like the ones we used to play together, whether it was Elite Force 2 or Terraria. I still play a lot of single player games but my habits have definitely changed over time. A lot of the gaming trends recently, even in single player games, are not trends I like. I've grown bored of most open world games, and I'm tired of running around collecting meaningless items on a big map.

I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it. It's just life.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... -civil-war

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:30 am
Captain
Captain

I will add Mag, that RDR2 has only been out since last October, I've played through the story twice and play the online mode, and the main story is one of the most impacting gaming experiences I've ever had in my life. So even though I don't game at a breakneck pace anymore, its still a very important and influential part of my day to day live. :D

4. Bioshock II (PS3)
5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
6. Fallout New Vegas (PS3)
7. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (PS3)
8. Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
11. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
12. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
13. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (Vita)
16. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (PS3)
17. Trivial Pursuit (PS3)
18. Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage (PS3)
19. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)
20. Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]